Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update your rig status here!
A PS pump that came back to life with some fluid and a good bleed....

The wrong bolts, twice for my driveshaft. Next time I'm taking the driveshaft....
Brake line fixed. Another brake issue found and likely not to get fixed before Saturday. But it wont keep me off the trail. Had a set of ball joint sitting in the cabinet that someone had given me. I looked up the part numbers and sure enough they fit the jeep. Wish I had known this a long time ago. Those are in. Pulled the seals on the unit bearings and repacked with grease. They will need replaced though.

If I can find the YJ or cj draglink I'll put the other steering set up on.

Also did a little tire modification while its been in the garage.
Tired iron is a few steps closer to becoming a temp daily driver. Almost all light work. One front park light doesn't work but the turn signal does. Brakes have been bled. They arent the best but they work. Drums front and rear is not the best design. Just need ujoints to wheel it but preferably a new drive shaft.

A t-case for the XJ has been sourced. Didn't get a chance to call Novak today to e sure about it working. If it will I will have to tear it down and put my SYE on it.
The Burb - New ball joints, new unit bearings, new brake rotors, and new brake pads. More than I was hoping it would need, but that's the way it goes.
I stayed after work today and gave BIGBOY a new steering system consisting of an ORD steering arm and links made from 1.5"x 1/4" wall DOM, SpyderTraxx weld in inserts, and 1 ton Dodge Tie rod ends. It's pretty much the same set-up I put on Calico but without the highsteer option. I don't have enough lift to clear the x-member with the tie rod if I went with highsteer. I shouldn't bend this stuff.
I like the SpiderTraxx stuff better than the inserts I've used previously because the have a built in 1.5" hex for your wrench.
Nice Ole
78calico Wrote:I stayed after work today and gave BIGBOY a new steering system consisting of an ORD steering arm and links made from 1.5"x 1/4" wall DOM, SpyderTraxx weld in inserts, and 1 ton Dodge Tie rod ends. It's pretty much the same set-up I put on Calico but without the highsteer option. I don't have enough lift to clear the x-member with the tie rod if I went with highsteer. I shouldn't bend this stuff.
I like the SpiderTraxx stuff better than the inserts I've used previously because the have a built in 1.5" hex for your wrench.

Is that the set courtney was selling on CL ? been eye ballling it ..
No. This is new stuff that I've been sitting on for quite a while. I still have a pretty good stash of builder parts tucked away.
The Burb - Add Tie rod ends to the list....

K-5 - Found and fixed an oil leak.
Centered the steering box/wheel so I can turn left and right an equal amount.....
Got two pieces of steel that need just a bit of trimming and drilling and I can mount my winch. Will get some welding done on it eventually to add some more support.
2" wheel spacers
some fender trimming
some loose bolts tightened.
f250 is running sliders done most of the front bumper done just needs boxed in and reciever braced in ,tires are cut and grooved ,but its useable now ,gonna suck leaving it now for 2 yrs ..
K-5 - Mounted up the winch finally. Need to make a fairlead mount.

Trailer for M&G. Pulled hubs off, repacked the bearings, installed brakes on all four wheels and repaired wiring. Hopefully my trailer woes from my last trip to Banner do not repeat themselves.
As some of you know I've been sinking in some time into the TJ over the last few months. The latest list of mods are as follows,

Teralow 4:1
JBConversions Super Short SYE
Genright EXT Stretch kit
Custom Tri-Link Rear
Relocated shock buckets
Outboard Shocks
New 2" springs

As it sits now without doing the front I have a wheel base of 99". I tried to find two side profile pic's at about the same distance and I think these are about as close as I can find for before and after.

[Image: 185583_260695227278323_7352143_n.jpg]

[Image: 525856_234062540043753_1464148215_n.jpg]
Lookin nice
why are all the steering bolts on my dodge LOOSE?! ??! spent the night torquing them down.
Fairlead installed
Head found and pulled for the landcruiser. I am going to drop it off at the machine shop today.
New muffler for the big zuk.
T-cas has been working fine. But now I have another bad pinion bearing. Well slightly bad but will get worse. I'll be trying to pick up a few spare parts to take down with me to M&G just in case. That is if I find time.

Got lucky on the Dodge and only had to change front brake pads and not rotors. Now to order the MIK so I can replace the bearings. Still on the lookout for a DS for Tired Iron.
what is a MIK?
Master Install Kit
Worked on the Gen1 Toyota front spring hanger today. Getting real close to be able to cut off the factory hangers and adjust the rear shackle angle.
Burb
1. Finally aligned. Almost $850 in parts, but it goes straight and true. My tires are already thanking me.
2. Topped off fluids
3. Fixed a short in the trailer wiring
4. New wipers! Maybe it won't take four minutes of use before they clear my heavily cracked windshield. It's gonna get a new windshield next week....

K-5
1. Wiring repaired to lights (what ones are installed at the moment anyway)
2. Fixed rear window wiring so it is operated from inside the cab now
3. Wired up a CB with an el cheapo magnet mount antenna for now.
4. Installed front driveshaft again, this time with lockwashers and loc-tite.
5. Fluid levels topped, and all critical systems are go.
6. Tires aired to equal pressure and tire iron is in the Burb so I can do some carving down in Wasilla.
7. Still need to get a couple good shackles and roller fairlead, (gonna hit up White Spruce on the way home today)
8. Down to only one leak left, apparently my dipstick needs to be sealed up better.....

Trailer for M&G
1. Gotta replace one of the bearing caps, as it made a departure the last time the trailer was used.
2. Doublecheck air pressures
3. Dial down the RR brake as it grabs before the rest and grabs harder than the rest
4. Load up K-5 and tie it down.
Worked on the J20 today. It has fuel issues(no fuel), electrical issues, the fan belts need to be installed and the exhaust needs to be hooked up. I poores ssome gas down the carb just so I could here a little pop, it was motivating.
I stared at the Blazer a bit today... made me sad so i turned away.

Thinking I will move the head needing to be port/polished into the shop so at least I can sorta start working on something.

With the garage business starting to pick up a bit down here, maybe I'll have a bit of cash to put towards really getting back to working on it.
Finally got around to finishing the re-centered H1 Beadlocks that I was originally building for Calico. As soon as I pick up some new wheel bearings and hub seals, the dually hubs and spacers are coming off BIGBOY so I can run the new beadlocks. The gallery isn't cooperating so no pics.

On Monday I'll be ordering a rebuild kit for my spare steering box. As soon as I have it, I'll be porting the box for Hydro-assist.