Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Update your rig status here!
2T2 Wrote:98 Tacoma bought it at an auction it was a roll over. didn't do to much to it right away but now it has a 3" suspension and a 3" body sitting on 35's.

Soon will have 4:88:1 gears, 8000lb winch and new bumpers thanks Holeski.

I would like to put a long travel kit but I can't find any my price range so that will have to wait.

With the lift you have I would go SAS ( soild axle swap). Long travel is more for all out fast racing. Cool if you have just a bit of lift. It's a nice truck I like it, It's fun to drive.
I've wanted to do an axle swap since I gat the truck but don't have the know how or the money to do it. and now that i'm about to change out my gears for the IFS
it really isn't cost effective.
6-6
Block finally decided it wanted to show up.. now I need time / help to put the beyatch in.
remove this
I honestly think I need a roll cage now. I just read a very scary thread on the Montero Sport Forum. See:
http://msport97.proboards6.com/index.cgi...065&page=1
man, just happened, the guy's still in shock, and you're asking about gutting his pride and joy!!!

Anyway, sure...all unibody trucks need an Exo or some kind of interior roll cage when used offroad...otherwise a single flop can total your rig.
What's to gut? Everything is pretty much hanging out now. For the record the Montero Sports are not unibodies. You can come look at mine if you want. There is a frame and a body and they can be seperated from each other by unbolting them.
You realize an interior cage for you isn't as expensive as you think. IMO: A cage should be the first thing anyone does..... It's like the car tuners... they spend thousands on body work paint / accessories then they have their factory alarm or no alarm at all... Same deal IMO.. All this money in our rigs to make it capable.. but no safety precautions.. Smile

The Zuki's cage was $400...
I don't know... I've been wheeling the sploder for about 6yrs and haven't needed one yet.(knock on wood) I wheeled her pretty hard for the first 2yrs too. I believe a cage is a nice addition... but I won't put one in a DD. When she becomes a weekend toy... ok. Don't get me started on Exo's either... can't stand em. :bad: You wanna build em to survive any situation?.... just go get a tank instead lol
gamble71 Wrote:I don't know... I've been wheeling the sploder for about 6yrs and haven't needed one yet.(knock on wood) I wheeled her pretty hard for the first 2yrs too. I believe a cage is a nice addition... but I won't put one in a DD. When she becomes a weekend toy... ok. Don't get me started on Exo's either... can't stand em. :bad: You wanna build em to survive any situation?.... just go get a tank instead lol

I've been driving for 6 years or so.. and I haven't had to use my seat belt yet... Does that mean I don't really need one?.....

When you need the cage.. you'd wish you had one.
ubolts came in a DAY BEFORE ups said they would be here... how about that... saturday its going down... 12pm and on... 81 d60 axle install i got from this killer dude from delta, and bed and cab install... pizza and soda provided... brandon 3474284
LowNSlowNeon Wrote:I've been driving for 6 years or so.. and I haven't had to use my seat belt yet... Does that mean I don't really need one?.....

When you need the cage.. you'd wish you had one.

I agree with what your saying, to a point. I think it really depends where you wheel or what type of terrain you will encounter. Up here I would disagree with you about getting a cage for one of your first mods, not saying you shouldn't ever get one...but I don't think it ranks as high on the priority list. Now if you wheel down south on primarily rocks and lots of off camber stuff, then yes I agree and would place the cage accordingly on the priority list...boils down to IMO you can't make a blanket statement like that regarding cages, were you put it on your list depends on you but put it somewhere regardless!
AK20 Wrote:I agree with what your saying, to a point. I think it really depends where you wheel or what type of terrain you will encounter. Up here I would disagree with you about getting a cage for one of your first mods, not saying you shouldn't ever get one...but I don't think it ranks as high on the priority list. Now if you wheel down south on primarily rocks and lots of off camber stuff, then yes I agree and would place the cage accordingly on the priority list...boils down to IMO you can't make a blanket statement like that regarding cages, were you put it on your list depends on you but put it somewhere regardless!

I've encountered off camber situations on base alone.. Smile
well call me a hippy again :p but the only reason I wear seatbelts is it's the law Rolleyes
LowNSlowNeon Wrote:I've encountered off camber situations on base alone.. Smile

Yeah but when you have a 50" wheelbase a dang speed bump could put you on your side:eek:
Splitting thread to 4x4 tech.
See michalejr5's durnago fluid here: http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forum/showt...php?t=1605
Status of current ride -

It's a DD so I've got no big ambitions for it. I'm building a short stinger bar for the front and I'm putting together a brighter backup light that mounts in the spare tire center hole (cutesey stuff)

Future ride (project "Grizzlybeaver") -

It's been hibernating since Oct 03 while I payed off divorce debts. I've just recently started accumulating parts. I have the rear locker, front posi, R&P kits, and overhaul kits for axles. Waiting for 4-wheel disk conversion kits to arrive. Any day now... The engine ran great when I was still driving it, I just have to do a good reseal. It leaks more fluids than a gigolo of the same age. I'll be swapping the generic Holley 4 barrel for a Truck Avenger. The civilian driveline / 12V conversion was done by the previous owner and all works, but a dual battery, isolator, and Painless wiring kit will clean up the hack job. I'll be making the bumpers and putting the winch on a reciever mount for front or rear use.

It's gonna get taken down to the frame, cleaned up, and put back together. It's not going to be a 2-3 year resto - it's not being built to look pretty - just solid and functional. I want it on a trail by the end of this year with all the mechanical work done. I've got a laundry list of accessories in mind, but those will happen over a longer period of time.
off-topic, but wanna sell that carb??? Need one for my impala Big Grin
I got an orange slip in my mailbox and I'm pretty sure it's my disk brake kits.lol lol lol lol lol lol lol :allrighty: The axles will be the first part of project grizzlybeaver and I've got almost all the parts needed.
Fired it up today. Oh how I wish I could fast forward time and have it ready to wheel.Rolleyes It would drive now... it just wouldn't stop.

The right bank smokes a little. Old gas may play a part. New valve guides might be in order for the engine reseal. I'll do a compression test and if good I'll pass on pulling the heads. (maybe I should anyway... but it runs smooth and strong... if I pull the heads I may as well rering the pistons... so new bearings would be cheap insurance over reusing the old ones... but why basically rebuild an engine that runs strong and just smokes a little... heem... hummm...)Confusedtfu:
well got alot of the tube for my flat bed bent up and glued together working on the floor and light bar now .. also drilled the 3.5 in hole for the snorkel today in the outer fender having issues getting the hole statred on the inner just no room from the fire wall side to get drill in there and from the hole on the outer fender there is alot of seems there that just grab the hole saw and try ti twist my hands off ! lol gonna use a plasma cutter and torch it out !
It's official. Mine has a few projects in the mail. Waiting arrival for installation. Who's ready to get there hands dirty? Woooooot!
28 This, when the parts get here, get a hold of me. CB plus new parts at same time? Perhaps.

Let me get my 44 and rock sliders done and I am up for it.
the update of my rig is as follows:

soon to be 6" of lift, 35" MTR's, Holeproof cage, NXC custom Dana 44a axle, trussed and Aussie locked, NBM Fab front and rear bumper, SYE, 4.56, rear long arms, soon to be front long armed, Holeproof sliders and SBG
Sweet. Was your radio tweaked and peaked yet NBM? What kind is it?