Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Club Trailer Build
Here is the long drawn out deal with the trail trailer.

Eric and I volunteered to put together a club trail trailer for the club, provided the club comes up with the money for materials. Eric has his trailer as proof that one can be made very durable and capable. I have built many a trailer like it myself in my days before the military.
The difficulty comes in that it isn't going to be cheap. I hate to sound arrogant, but if I were gonna put one together, I'd need...
2x6's as the bed,
about 45 ft of 1 1/2" angle iron
16 ft of 3/4" angle,
20' of 2" square tube
1-2" hitch
2 or 3 sheets of 3/8" plywood
1 gallon of polyurethane sealer
2 LED tail lights and wiring with dual 5 pin flat and large 8 pin circle adapter
2- 5x4.5 hubs
31" or better all terrain or mud terrain tires on rims
app. a 3 ft square of 1/4" plate for gussets
roughly 10 pounds of stainless hardware

Now, I may have missed somethign but this is a decent list. If someone has a few of these things lying around that they would like to donate that would lessen the cost, that would be outstanding. I know that there have been a lot of things donated to go in the trail trailer, but how about things to go on it?
I'd have to agree with that. You do get what you pay for. We would have to deside as a club how much we wanted to spend. I know there is a trailer place on the hwy between NP and FBX. The make custom trailers. Maybe hitting them up for a custom offroad trailer. Let them know it will be at all the truck shows and off road events and such. Give us a good deal and put there name down the side of it.

Not trying to take anything away from Eric but I wasn't sure if that project was still on or not. It's allot to ask and would take alot of time to build. He's busy enough as it is.

I think we have aquired alot of valuable club equipment in the last year and getting a secure trailer to stor it in should be a priority for the winter to do club list.
And as I have said several times I have 3 33 12.5 R15 BFG A/T tires that are the clubs property as soon as someone picks them up ands as soon as I switch out the winches I'll have a hitch mounted Winch i can sell to the club at an extreme discount
As far as the trailer goes we need a 100% go on the idea, witch means the members (or the Officers as far as I care) need to finalize the plan for us to start. I don’t want any changing of minds in the middle of the build that would take up either labor or materials. IMO Keep it light and multi propose. All the gear that people wanted to put on it would have made it ineffective. I know a lot of you have not towed an off-road trailer on trails and the more weight we put in the harder it is to drive ruff trails. It has to stay balanced enough when full of trail gear to move by hand if needed. This doesn’t mean it can’t haul heavy loads as we have had close to a ton in mine with out problems. Now the best way to do this is to get a ruff estimate of what we need, Nate has started this. Next draw it out and check prices then we can start. It would be quickest if the club paid me and I got everything, but we can put some one else in charge of that and have it delivered to me. It is to be understood that yes I am donating my labor but there will be expenses.
In my opinion... For what thats worth... Nate and Eric should have full reign to design and build what they think will work. It's there time there donating and we don't need to be consulting everyone and the grand mother for there two cents from now the Christmas....
I just talked Nate and we both agree. If everything is purchased we think we could get it done in a weekend. Also as far as expenses those could be cut by donating things such as to fill a bottle of gas for welding, cut off, grinding and flapper disks, plasma tips and constables, and so forth.
Eric, I'll start drawing up the frame, sides, and bed if you will price some of the material.
I'll try to draw something up in an E format so it can be viewed by the club. If'n it don't work out that way, I'll draw it by hand and ya'all can see it that way. I plan on making it capable of hauling a large ATV as well. Eric's trailer is capable of doing that as well, proven 3 weeks ago by me.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, what kind of money are we willing to spend to get this done?

Who is donating what?
TJ knocked out a huge expense for us by donating the tires. Now, does someone have some 5x4.5 jeep bolt pattern rims they would like to sell or donate to the club? They have to be 15x7's or better to accomodate the tire size donated. Steel would also be a good one to donate if you have some layign around.
LED's should be bought at SixRoblees along with the hub assemblies
naturalbornmudder Wrote:Eric, I'll start drawing up the frame, sides, and bed if you will price some of the material.
I'll try to draw something up in an E format so it can be viewed by the club. If'n it don't work out that way, I'll draw it by hand and ya'all can see it that way. I plan on making it capable of hauling a large ATV as well. Eric's trailer is capable of doing that as well, proven 3 weeks ago by me.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, what kind of money are we willing to spend to get this done?

Who is donating what?
TJ knocked out a huge expense for us by donating the tires. Now, does someone have some 5x4.5 jeep bolt pattern rims they would like to sell or donate to the club? They have to be 15x7's or better to accomodate the tire size donated. Steel would also be a good one to donate if you have some layign around.
LED's should be bought at SixRoblees along with the hub assemblies
If that axle I got from Eric would work you guys can have it. It's CJ though. 5 on 5.5... Not sure if it's worth the time and expence if you have a better option...
An axle with a diff is too heavy to use. The axle will be built out of ¼"x2.25x2.25 with mounting plates on the ends to except the hubs, very light, lots of clearance and strong. I have some rims I can donate 15x7 or 8. The same rims I have on my trailer.
holeski Wrote:An axle with a diff is too heavy to use. The axle will be built out of ¼"x2.25x2.25 with mounting plates on the ends to except the hubs, very light, lots of clearance and strong. I have some rims I can donate 15x7 or 8. The same rims I have on my trailer.
Thats what I figured. Just wasn't sure if you had plans or time to put into building something better.
ok, so we have rims and we have tires. I have a plan drawn up.

I would also like a cheap steel toolbox to use to hold tie down straps and collapseable lug wrench to change a tire with. We'll mount it to the front tongue where the Y bracing goes into the frame, just like it's Holeproof predocessor.

To my materials list I am going to add the EBAY link 2 posts below this one to use as tie down points within the bed of the trailer. I'll donate a small cargo strap to be used with the trailer. We'll need about 3 more though.

To the material list, also we will need to add a piece of PVC conduit, 6 feet long, 3/4" in diameter to route the lighting wires through and under the bed of the trailer to keep the weather or a tree branch from disrupting our wiring job.

We are going to end up having to have a sign out sheet and the E manager will have to inventory the trailer after it is returned.

I am working on a small idea with the trailer that I read about once. I will brief the members once I figure out if it is feasible or not.
Cool, if I were to redo mine I would use the spring eye tie downs the lay flush to the deck rather then the eye bolts that stand up above it.
actually, better yet, Geoff, can you order these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Enclosed-...5078QQrdZ1

we wont get a better price at Roblees so we might as well save a little dough and get these via EBAY.
see the post right above this one:rockon:
[Image: 00_1_b.JPG]
Nate, have you prioced those locally? I'm big on supporting the local guy, especially on a build like this.
I'll do some shopping and see.

I have plenty of conduit wasting garage space.
Quote:
Nate, have you prioced those locally
several months ago for another project. Power and Transmission and sixroblees. P&T may be able to get them in butroblees was pricier than what was posted. Have at it as far as price shopping.
Did anyone check to see if AIH has those in stock?
I'll donate the lights and wiring, and if you want I can wire it up.
Mousee gave us wiring and lights. Not LED, but they work - let's use them. I have them here at my place.

I have a bunch of spare metal scraps that we can use for gussets.

I may have the conduit for the wiring.

I also have a metal tool box for storage you mentioned (a McHugh donation!)

I'm sure I have some of the other stuff as well. Why don't we split this thread and start a trailer materials needed thread so it is easier to see what is needed and what is already donated.
I also may have the plywood - 5/8" though.
I'd like to spring for the flush mount LED's because they will not take damage as easily, look kinda trick, and will last a lot longer than conventional lighting. I'd like to build the trailer kinda classy. Not too spendy but nice.
I picked up the tires today. Eric, how many wheels do you have, and when can I pick them up to have these 3 tires mounted?
I went to sixroblees to price shop, but my kids were out of hand, and couldn't stay.

I was thinking about a lunette/pintle hook setup instead of a 2" ball hitch. I have a pintle to donate, if we want.
trouble is most folks dont have a pintle hook on their rig...if we could get one mounted to a 2" receiver hitch, we would be in decent shape.
that's what Geoff was thinking. just like a trailer ball hitch.
I have at least two and any time. Sliver with black centers, any time just stop by and get them.