Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project MAC
I got another in the pen. My 1990 K5 blazer aka "MAC" MacGyver. I found a donor truck and have to pull the motor. I am looking for some help getting it out. Anyone available in the evening to get this thing stripped down be for I haul the frame off. Free parts if you need them. It's a mid 80's suburban.
I can come over tomorrow, Wed, evening and help for a few hours. I can also come by one evening next week as well.
Depending on how my week goes and if I am ready for this trip I might be able to come over thurs or fri night for a few
Any day works after 1700 (5:00 pm) till 2100 (9:00 pm) or dark.

The main goal is to get the motor and trans out then loaded onto the trailer and drop the axles.
Well sorry but I'm out for tonight. Originally wan't doing anything for our anniversary but we are now. That take priority. But I may be able to come by tomorrow around 1700 if I can get some stuff done before then.
Wish I was closer... I have a bit of experience with this particular task!
ChevyKev Wrote:Wish I was closer... I have a bit of experience with this particular task!

Hey Kevin maybe y can answer this question. Will the TBI setup fit on a carb block? That is my plan or I have to re plumb the fuel system for carb.
I will be out in the driveway again tonight if anyone has some free time.
I should be by around 1700 for a bit to help out. Just gotta get some stuff done around the house before I head out there.
I believe your TBI will work, it's the newer Vortec blocks that are a bit different. I could be wrong though.....
Thanks to Mel and don for stopping by last night. We got the motor and trans pulled, trans and flex plate removed and the motor mounted to the engine stand.

Since it was mounted to the engine stand I decided to pull the intake and test fit the TBI intake on the current setup. Don offered up a modified TBI intake, this means I don't have to pull the heads and break the motor down any more than I have to. Thanks Don.

I think in the next week I will try to pull any good parts off of the donor truck and load any scrap metal into it before I haul it off. More to come.
Looks like you already figured out the answer! You can buy a specially designed intake or you can modify one - which I guess Don already had. TBI fuel pressure was about the same as carbuerator pressure, but a pressure regulator might be a good idea.
I still have all the TBI setup from the blazer so I should be good. I just have to install the knock sensor and the rest should slide right in.
Status up date. Found another donor rig and pulled everything that I need out of it and installed it in the blazer. After a few late nights its alive!

Trans and t-case installed. Drive line and wiring. Thanks to Mark I have exhaust and I hope to have it road worthy by the weekend. Going to can some parts from K9 to make it trail worthy and hope to do a shake down run soon.

Since I did not use the older block I have a motor to swap in on K9. But that's a whole new thread.

Thanks for the help with this project.
Status update: 1 Tons installed and a roller! No brakes at the moment.

It is official I am a full blown wheeler, I just put in an order in to ORD for steering upgrades, brake lines, and u bolt kit. $844.14 in total. Ouch that hurts, but no more redneck cobbled together rig. I'm going pro on this one.

I will post up a build night when the parts and my buddy justin gets into town.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1313[/ATTACH]
Figured I would add some pics.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1314[/ATTACH]

Attached Files
.jpg   image.jpg (Size: 204.03 KB / Downloads: 3)
.jpg   image.jpg (Size: 198.03 KB / Downloads: 5)
way to go buddy!
Ouch is right..... Thats more then I paid for my entire rig, lol. Let me know what your plan is and when you might need some help. Ill try to get free and help out any time I can.

akcowboy76 Wrote:Status update: 1 Tons installed and a roller! No brakes at the moment.

It is official I am a full blown wheeler, I just put in an order in to ORD for steering upgrades, brake lines, and u bolt kit. $844.14 in total. Ouch that hurts, but no more redneck cobbled together rig. I'm going pro on this one.

I will post up a build night when the parts and my buddy justin gets into town.
Checked the UPS.com website and my parts should be here on Friday. If the work gods are in my favor I hope to be installing them and cleaning off my white board of things I want to do to my rig. If anyone wants to help out hit me up and see if I am home wrenching, I could always use the help and like the company to chat with.
Once you go to tons, you gotta pay to play.
Saweeeet!
You will be happy you went with a kit instead of cobbling it together. Been there and done that!
That was the idea. Last thing I want to do is let this 6k lb beast loose in the woods!
[Image: 42cc0e6dc621c34f5bc9f125358d8b08.jpg][Image: b720a544b3f75c06bef82f1cc84f6635.jpg][Image: 3c6dd8c91e889c102d9bdaa7952e4228.jpg][Image: d87c75f5ccbdaa2813db726184eef6fd.jpg][Image: c19f3eb4dc7a87de58b33057354a5b7b.jpg][Image: 7abe2efe6f15f9c9de75d6bb55b523cd.jpg][Image: f4eed457afc4a17b2724150ec9b6a0e2.jpg][Image: fb4400554be5f70838f38bf1c6a88b3c.jpg][Image: ba29c27befe208d7281971617cd6949e.jpg][Image: 60971e7a70516777991bb0dfb56d05b2.jpg]
Three days in, going bananas on MAC. Dana 60 front, 14 FF rear axles, New U bolts and top plates, ORD cross over steering, 2WD gear box, manual rear window regulator and new front calipers (old ones froze up).

Now I need to get new power steering lines to match up to the 2WD gear box, secure points in the back, roll bar install. Hope to be ready by clean up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Update: Thanks to Arctic Alf and some parts from his collection, I have power steering hooked up and running again. Turns out if you swap the adapter union off of a late '70's PS pump you can run the stock Standard thread flared line on the Metric O-ring Saginaw pumps! Cool little trick and I don't have to get a custom made hose built. This will be nice when I blow a line out, I can pick up one up off the shelf.

Thanks to AK Mark for supplying me with a set of C/K 16" 8 Lug rims so I can mount up my M/T's. I plan working every night to get ready for the next run.
glad to hear that my memory is not completely shot!
Update; Did a shake down last night, all the new mods worked beautiful with nothing popping up as a major issue. going to give the rig a good bath and checking the hardware for torque and fluids to see where I am at. Little things like Diff vents and leaks that need to be addressed but for the most part looking like a reliable rig in the works.