Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project Super Trooper
Ok if figure this will help me with this project. End goal is to have an all around daily driver that I can have fun with on the weekends for the cheep.

The basics: 1994 Isuzu Trooper S. 3.2l V6, 5 speed transmission. Manual locks and windows. No A/C.

Wish list (for now):
1-2 inch lift
All terrain tires
Winch bumpers
6k winch
Body protection
Snorkel
Roof top storage/cargo
Extra lighting
Lockers

Currently the only things I have done to it is checked it out mechanically and fixed any issues that I have found.

I went to MSI this week to find some misc trim pieces that I just wanted to fine and I found a trooper with manual hubs. The great news is that it had a set of super winch hubs. So $100 later I walked out with the hubs, three hub caps and a spare tire cover (free).

I replaced the factory auto hubs with the manual hubs and the one missing hub cap.

If you have any ideas for my project please toss in your thoughts.
awesome project name Big Grin
So I couldn't sleep last night so i spent some time going over the trooper fixing some more stuff that I found that needed attention.

First I cut the zip ties that were barely holding the grill on. Since I pulled spare parts off of another trooper that I had, I saved all the hardware just in case. Good thing I did, it had no screws holding the grill just two zip ties. So with actual hardware to keep things in place she is solid again.

I did pull the sheet metal piece from under the left head light that was red in color. I had another one that I did a quick sanding prime and a color coat of gloss black, so it didn't stick out too bad. Later I will get factory color to match the paint and go over the hood and all the worn painted areas.

Since I had the front end all tore apart I got to brain storming about installing some moose lighting up front. I had a set of cheap off-road lights just lying around and I wanted to come up with a way of mounting them. I think I came up with something that works with what I had lying around my garage.

Here it is after the install

.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346084593.443268.jpg (Size: 59.22 KB / Downloads: 14)
Lights on.

To keep with the clean install I tapped off the high beam wire from the factory light to a relay that controls the new lights. This way I will have more room in the cab for other switches for other accessories.

More to come....
I would recommend a receiver mounted winch. You do not lose approach angles, you can winch from the front or back and if you get a bigger winch like a 10 or 12k you can use it for your blazer. I was pretty satisfied with my rear axle welded and front open on the XJ. Once I went to a locked front I could no longer drive it on the roads during the winter safely at speed. I would also look into the sway disconnect.
akcowboy76 Wrote:So I couldn't sleep last night so i spent some time going over the trooper fixing some more stuff that I found that needed attention.

First I cut the zip ties that were barely holding the grill on. Since I pulled spare parts off of another trooper that I had, I saved all the hardware just in case. Good thing I did, it had no screws holding the grill just two zip ties. So with actual hardware to keep things in place she is solid again.

I did pull the sheet metal piece from under the left head light that was red in color. I had another one that I did a quick sanding prime and a color coat of gloss black, so it didn't stick out too bad. Later I will get factory color to match the paint and go over the hood and all the worn painted areas.

Since I had the front end all tore apart I got to brain storming about installing some moose lighting up front. I had a set of cheap off-road lights just lying around and I wanted to come up with a way of mounting them. I think I came up with something that works with what I had lying around my garage.

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=353]
Here it is after the install

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=354]
Lights on.

To keep with the clean install I tapped off the high beam wire from the factory light to a relay that controls the new lights. This way I will have more room in the cab for other switches for other accessories.

More to come....

I call BS. you were looking for a reason to wrench!!!
I get the late night wrench urge from time to time Big Grin
I think what you have listed as stuff to get/do sounds good for a DD occasional wheeler. In my opinion it's best to keep it very simple with this type of wheeler. Start getting to extravagant then it gets away from a DD very quickly. As for lockers you could do a lunchbox in the front since you have manual hubs. Leave one hub unlocked for normal driving. It still will drive slightly different that an open diff but isn't quite as bad fully locked in the front. Besides you don't really need 4wd much except ot get moving on occasion.
akram Wrote:I think what you have listed as stuff to get/do sounds good for a DD occasional wheeler. In my opinion it's best to keep it very simple with this type of wheeler. Start getting to extravagant then it gets away from a DD very quickly. As for lockers you could do a lunchbox in the front since you have manual hubs. Leave one hub unlocked for normal driving. It still will drive slightly different that an open diff but isn't quite as bad fully locked in the front. Besides you don't really need 4wd much except ot get moving on occasion.

Mel has some good points here. I would recommend staying away from a body lift. The only time I dumped my second gen 4Runner was when i cranked the torsion bars, added a 1in body lift and some FJ coil springs to accommodate 33's. These body style of wheelers are top heavy and taking that weight and putting it higher from the frame exacerbates that, esp. when you crank the torsion bars. Just my opinion though.

On that note I wondered what was out there for a second gen trooper and I did find a useful site for you:

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantma...1_12_22_25

Apparently lifting one of these is not cheap. Some forums say you can run 33's as is with only minor trimming and mods...but that will only give ground clearance and not a whole lot of up travel. Let me know if you need some help..I am curious now. :rockon:
JunkRunner Wrote:Mel has some good points here. I would recommend staying away from a body lift. The only time I dumped my second gen 4Runner was when i cranked the torsion bars, added a 1in body lift and some FJ coil springs to accommodate 33's. These body style of wheelers are top heavy and taking that weight and putting it higher from the frame exacerbates that, esp. when you crank the torsion bars. Just my opinion though.

On that note I wondered what was out there for a second gen trooper and I did find a useful site for you:

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantma...1_12_22_25

Apparently lifting one of these is not cheap. Some forums say you can run 33's as is with only minor trimming and mods...but that will only give ground clearance and not a whole lot of up travel. Let me know if you need some help..I am curious now. :rockon:

You both have great points. This is nothing like I will dump every dime I have till I get to my dream rig... This is something that I can play with and learn new stuff with. As for lockers I was thinking selectable front and rear. I know it is the expensive route but like I said this is something to learn with.

As for lift I agree with the no body lift, I have seen too many issues when installing them and a few years down the road.

I found an Isuzu forum that I joined and it sent me to the same web site for lifts. It's crazy what they want for the lifts, but its what you get for using such an uncommon base vehicle. I was thinking a SAS. Thanks for the comment and ideas. And yes petey I have been going through wrench withdraws
i think a solid axle swap would be great. a set of cheap half tons, a dana 44 with a 9 inch rearend.
however, for now I would keep it simple and be on the lookout for parts to stock pile up and tinker with in the future. dont build your suspension 4 times like I did! having a plan and sticking to it works wonders.

keep it functional for now .. and ...

research research research.
learn from other's mistakesand successes. and build to what you will be wheeling
Do they make e-lockers for this application? If so that would be simple for a mild wheeler...of course the ARB runs as an open, which is awesome up here in the winter for a DD.
Dr Brian Wrote:Do they make e-lockers for this application? If so that would be simple for a mild wheeler...of course the ARB runs as an open, which is awesome up here in the winter for a DD.

Where is the diff on a Isuzu rear axle? If it is in the center like a yota mini truck just get an axle from an FJ80 with the elocker already in it and work on bolting that sucker up....hmm options options options.
It looks to me like a Toyota axle. I have to put them side by side to make sure. I will have to do some research on this. I think I saw an FJ80 or something like that at MSI.
The fj80 axles at msi do not have the factory lockers, and the rear is off set. After buying the parts for mine I would look into a Dana option my self. I just spent $250 just for the front seals. What side is your drop? I have a HP 44 that I was going to use for the XJ that I would sale.
Didn't the trooper use a D44? I know rodeos did. The design of it wasn't the best though.
Nope they aren't? Only rodeos and passport had d44. Decided to research it. Troopers amigos had a 12 bolt rear. Seems like early models pre 1998 had a ring gear about the same as a d44 and spline count of 26 spline. 1998 the ring gear went to close the same as a d60. 1.5" shafts but smaller spline count of only 23 splines.

And no this isn't a GM 12 bolt. It is a third member type axle.
88XJ Wrote:The fj80 axles at msi do not have the factory lockers, and the rear is off set. After buying the parts for mine I would look into a Dana option my self. I just spent $250 just for the front seals. What side is your drop? I have a HP 44 that I was going to use for the XJ that I would sale.

Well poo. If the pumpkin is in the middle, then a yota mini truck axle with a bit of grinding can hold the eLocker. But then you would be right where you are already at.
So I picked up a roof rack that someone threw away. It will work for now until I can build a custom setup. It only cost my 4 16 penny nails I use the mount it.

.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347657308.995071.jpg (Size: 163.14 KB / Downloads: 2)

.jpg   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347657324.978929.jpg (Size: 195.11 KB / Downloads: 2)
Just a nugget of info to think about. When you start doing a lift on this style of vehicle be aware of the weight that you put up high, makes the rig more unstable. I learned this lesson the hard way:

[Image: 61196a01.jpg]

You cannot beat free though.
I hear they are top heavy as well. worse than the samurai.
HAI!
Samurai's are not top heavy, narrow width and short wheel base yes. Top heavy no.