Poll: Would you install a tube style bumper or a covered?
This poll is closed.
Tube bumper w/exposed winch
14.29%
1 14.29%
Tube bumper w/hidden winch
0%
0 0%
Covered bumper w/exposed winch
71.43%
5 71.43%
Covered bumper w/hidden winch
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front bumper
EDIT: Had thread cleaned up and also have a new design that I am looking at and like a lot better 2nd pg post #49. Please still give any ideas or suggestions you may have.
If the picture shows up below.....

I used my paint software and drew a mach-up of what I am considering to have made for a winch mountable front bumper w/brushguard. I would like some opinions on what you might do different or what might be a better idea. Thank you for any feedback.

[Image: WinchBumpermach-up.jpg]
so are you going for a gay pride bumper??? jk jk, do you want it to have a stinger, or do you just want it to kinda ride around the grill like that??? hidden winch i take it??? if you do do a hidden winch idea, i would make a plate on top that bolts off so you can access it if needed... looks like apretty stable idea, but there is always room for changes as you havent started working on it yet...
4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:so are you going for a gay pride bumper??? jk jk, do you want it to have a stinger, or do you just want it to kinda ride around the grill like that??? hidden winch i take it??? if you do do a hidden winch idea, i would make a plate on top that bolts off so you can access it if needed... looks like apretty stable idea, but there is always room for changes as you havent started working on it yet...

Yes, I do plan on a hidden winch. As for the plate over it idea, I don't want it. The original bumper has holes underneath the license plate for air to get to the radiater and tranny cooler. I want to keep the top open there to still let air get down there. Since I only plan on doing a 2" lift on this Jeep, I don't think I will really need the stinger, but I am still deciding on that. I would like to keep the brushguard part, the wrap arounds would ad protection to the lenses.

Yes, I did paint in bad colors, but I did it to help it look more 3D like. I want the front to go straight down far enough for the winch, then angle back under the rig.
You do know ARB makes a bolt on for your truck, right?
michaeljr5 Wrote:You do know ARB makes a bolt on for your truck, right?

Yes, and I saw what a concrete barrier at 15mph can do to (the Topless X) it too. Plus I like to be original so I wanted to see what could be done.
28this Wrote:Yes, and I saw what a concrete barrier at 15mph can do to (the Topless X) it too. Plus I like to be original so I wanted to see what could be done.

I completely agree with you. Talk to Holeski or NBM. They know how to do this stuff. Still looks cool non the less!

[Image: wjbullbar1.JPG]
[Image: wjbullbar.jpg]
[Image: wjbullbar2.JPG]
Yeah, It is awesome looking. Only thing I'd change is the bumperettes into some tow points. Wouldn't mind doing the straight across part around the headlights either instead of the wrap arounds.

Wonder what lift hes got under his. That looks sweet.
Well during some net surfing I just found what will make me NOT get an ARB bumper.......

Grand Cherokee WJ Bull Bar

Due to insufficient engine cooling on 1999-2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ models built in North America, ARB cannot recommend their Bull Bar (3450090) for this application. The problem lies within the early model’s cooling system, which utilizes a conventional fan and fan clutch. With this configuration, the early WJ is extremely sensitive to changes in vehicle rake, ride height and air flow, which have proven to cause a significant increase in engine operating temperatures.

Chrysler rectified this problem with the introduction of an upgraded cooling system on the 2001 and later Grand Cherokee models. The new system utilizes a hydraulic fan system that runs off of the power steering pump. ARB is pleased to announce that there have been no cooling problems reported with this combination.

That sucks.....

Mike, good idea, but I only want to do 2" with the WJ. Don't know if 33's would fit and as for the axle, I already have a D44a under the rear and I also have vari-lok axles, so I can't put air lockers on them.
Just noticed that says built in North America. Does Canada count?
that's nothing a cheap electric fan wouldn't fix.
Mine has a clutch fan, but also has an electric fan in front of it already.
I'm sure Canada would be fine. We can always have it adjusted. If you only want to go two inches, get 15 inch AR 767s with 31 inch MTRs. You'll be able to go almost everywhere the club goes with that set up. 31s will give you lots of flex without too much rubbing. If you want to keep your 16 inch rims, get 245/75 R 16s for tires. The Rubis come with those.
Looks like even if I get the bumper fabricated, I'll either have to keep some holes lower for air or also put in a hydraulic fan system with the bumper.
ok, can't mount a front bumper for fear of overheating in alaska???? Might wanna rethink your vehicle... at -50 nothing overheats lol
28, I wouldn't worry about the overheating thing. I think you'll be fine. We can always install an electric fan later.
gamble71 Wrote:ok, can't mount a front bumper for fear of overheating in alaska???? Might wanna rethink your vehicle... at -50 nothing overheats lol
Unless it freezes.
And again I'll restate, My rig already has an electric fan and a clutch fan on it.:repost:
gamble71 Wrote:ok, can't mount a front bumper for fear of overheating in alaska???? Might wanna rethink your vehicle... at -50 nothing overheats lol

Being military, won't be in Alaska forever either.
IMO : I don't think the ARB bumper looks good on the Jeep posted on page 1...

I cant see your design since I am at work though.
The only thing I would add to that bumper would be a stinger.....
Can't make up my mind about the stinger. I like its purpose, but still don't know if I like the looks though.
I just got to reading all of this and the first thing I will say is that anything can be made to work.
Firtst off, the electric fan upgrade for your heep is about 100 bucks. Rob and I did one in an early bronco and a TJ not too long ago. Easy stuff.

Secondly, I am not sure about this vari-loc set up. If it is in the T case, you can install a locker without a carrier. If it is in the axle(i.e. limited slip), I might know where a D44a carrier can be had for a price of roughly 140. Then get an aussie for 250 and be rear locked.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that Holeproof would like to get a hold of that heep and make a bumper for it. I know another fabricator who would be willing to help, if you had the patience to wait.
naturalbornmudder Wrote:I just got to reading all of this and the first thing I will say is that anything can be made to work.
Firtst off, the electric fan upgrade for your heep is about 100 bucks. Rob and I did one in an early bronco and a TJ not too long ago. Easy stuff.

Secondly, I am not sure about this vari-loc set up. If it is in the T case, you can install a locker without a carrier. If it is in the axle(i.e. limited slip), I might know where a D44a carrier can be had for a price of roughly 140. Then get an aussie for 250 and be rear locked.

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that Holeproof would like to get a hold of that heep and make a bumper for it. I know another fabricator who would be willing to help, if you had the patience to wait.

I have the patients to wait, especially since I still need to save up for it too. Started this now to see what others had for ideas b4 I decided on the final.

Sorry to do the bold thing but I have to. Apparently everyone keeps missing my post in here that states, "My WJ is stock with a clutch fan AND an electric fan." I can't upgrade to something I already have. The only thing I have found different fan wise is to go with a hydraulic fan, but I am not liking how they hook up.
28this Wrote:I can't upgrade to something I already have. The only thing I have found different fan wise is to go with a hydraulic fan, but I am not liking how they hook up.

You can put two electric fans in there, and since it is already wired with one, you splice the second one in and they run in unison. :allrighty:
michaeljr5 Wrote:You can put two electric fans in there, and since it is already wired with one, you splice the second one in and they run in unison. :allrighty:

Sounds doable, except I'd have to buy two fans since the one in already takes the full width of the radiator and I'm checking in to it, but I think the elec. fan in it only runs with the A/C running, so there might be something there.
Quote:You can put two electric fans in there, and since it is already wired with one, you splice the second one in and they run in unison

this is what I was keying in on. What I should stress is to eliminate the stock electric completely and go with 2 smaller fans side by side, and work your fan shroud to be a little more restrictive.