Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
input on the blazer
ok not much is going to get done to the blazer ( aka black beauty ) before i leave for iraq. mabye assui lockers, 15x12 steel wheels and custom body trimming. now when i get back i want to start really transforming it. bugget will be pretty good as i have no bills and im single. i do have child support but its only $800 a month and im getting promoted soon too, plus all the combat pay and such. so after talking about it with a few of the members and such here is what im thinking

1. 1 ton axels
2. 3 or 4 link front and rear
3. custom front winch bumper and rear with a spare tire carrier
4. chormolly axle shafts
5. new bigger lift with the 3 or 4 link
6. 36-38in pitbull rocker are a must. what can i say i do love these tires
7. warn 9000 rear and warn 12000 powerplant winch front
8. custom roll cage and soft top for the summer
9. maybe beadlocks
10. and i was thinking if i dont have the 350 gone through or rebuilt, dropping in a 502.
all input is welcome
I don't know why you would want to rebuild the 350, from what I'm told it is fairly new on a rebuild already.
Carl that motor doesn't have 6K on it and has some serious power. If you want to get more out of it, put a TBI on it, don't swap it for a 502 (that's HUGE money and with gas prices you would regret it.)

1 tons are a good idea do them before buying lockers unless you like broken axle parts.

Lockers are good. If you are running 1-tons put a Detroit in the rear and an ARB up front.

I wouldn't worry about linking till you've got everything else you want done first.

Bumpers and winches, VERY COOL!

Bigger tires, nice, and you should fit them with just a bit more fender trimming.

Beadlocks, always a nice upgrade, just remember most are not street legal.
akmark kev does have the cross over for the d60 i gave it to him when he came and got the 91 k-5 with abunch of other stuff. last time i saw it it was still in the back of his truck. the engine is running strong but she does have a few little oil leaks. reason one i would pull it is to have these fixed and gone though. i would fix them myself but i just dont have the time right now before i deploy. i have mabye 4 weekends before i leave and i will have my kids for atleast 3 of those. thats unless i get the tranny pulled in the kia i pickup cheep and get a clutch put in.
AKMark Wrote:Beadlocks, always a nice upgrade, just remember most are not street legal.

I did a little research on this a while back because I keep hearing it on a lot of sites. I looked all through the Alaska statute and cant find where it addresses beadlocks anywhere (good or bad) which makes me think that they are legal. If you can find is somwehre let me know.
Ronster Wrote:I did a little research on this a while back because I keep hearing it on a lot of sites. I looked all through the Alaska statute and cant find where it addresses beadlocks anywhere (good or bad) which makes me think that they are legal. If you can find is somwehre let me know.
It's a federal thing. Most beadlocks are not DOT compliant. Hutchison, the company that makes HUMVEE beadlocks was, until recently, the only manufacturer making DOT legal locks. Their civilian versions only come in 17". There are now other companies out there making legal beadlocks, but you have to look for them.
I don't think there are any legality isuues witht the Stauns or InnerAir Locks. I may be wrong, though.

And I'd love to help install and see them in use before getting them myself...:whistle:
I saw a discussion like this on Pirate...saying that although beadlocks aren't DOT compliant, it's not a crime to run them on the street. They WILL, however, cause a civil suit to go the other way if they aren't maintained, come apart on the road and cause a fatality.
If you want #6, go with #1 first Cool

When you go with #3, build a receiver mount and cradle for the winch front and rear - then you only need the last half of #7 :expert:

Wouldn't 2 and 5 basically be the same - do it all at once. :confused:

With the most recent pics and story maybe #8 needs to be #1. Big Grin
Dangit, Kevin,Confusedlap: I'm dizzy now from scrolling up and down.
dang kev my eye ball wont stop going up and down now. yes #8 should be #1 after this weekend. although i do remeber seing pics of a very similar big green blazer on its side at rainbow mt.Big Grin
Too...many...numbers
You forgot #11 - Truck Avenger CarbBig Grin
Hey I think I might Have a surprise for you that would fulfill SHoppe715's #11. Also I have a buddy who has a rebuilt 350 with an Edle brock performer intake that the #11 would sit nicely on. The 350 would cost $250. Carb would be Free Possibly. If you come to BBQ we can talk more about it or sooner if you want.
trailkilla Wrote:Hey I think I might Have a surprise for you that would fulfill SHoppe715's #11. Also I have a buddy who has a rebuilt 350 with an Edle brock performer intake that the #11 would sit nicely on. The 350 would cost $250. Carb would be Free Possibly. If you come to BBQ we can talk more about it or sooner if you want.

It's already got a Holley high rise intake. (I could be wrong on the model, but it's a definite beast. He put a new edelbrock on it after buying it as the old Holley was shot. Personally, if I get a new carb I'd want the TA as well, but considering the truck is just gonna sit while he's deployed, I'd wait till after returning to buy a different carb. Seals may dry out after sitting making a royal mess.
The only thing he needs to do to that engine is put new valve cover and oil pan gaskets in it. That thing has low miles and was built right - well - right if you want to include going overboard on spending in areas that aren't necessary - like a Milodon oil pan Rolleyes for the cost of that they could have kjept the stock pan and put in roller rockers which would have actually increased HP instead of looking pretty. But I digress.

Put your money into things that NEED to be changed to do better off road. The engine is fine (except for those gaskets)
k
ChevyKev Wrote:The only thing he needs to do to that engine is put new valve cover and oil pan gaskets in it. That thing has low miles and was built right - well - right if you want to include going overboard on spending in areas that aren't necessary - like a Milodon oil pan Rolleyes for the cost of that they could have kjept the stock pan and put in roller rockers which would have actually increased HP instead of looking pretty. But I digress.

Put your money into things that NEED to be changed to do better off road. The engine is fine (except for those gaskets)

from MR. OIL LEAK himself. Confusedlap:
the carb is brand new. it an edelbrock 650 offroad carb. i think the main reason that it kept stalling is the bouncing around. it was fine on sage hill and i have done several other hill climbs with out a problem. thanks to all for the input. the engine im going to pretty much leave alone, but have the seals replace and mabey some cam shaft, and head work done.
trailkilla Wrote:Hey I think I might Have a surprise for you that would fulfill SHoppe715's #11...

Hey, I actually need one too. Holler at me. The thing I haven't looked into yet is whether or not the manual choke on my current Holley could be swapped over onto a TA.

Ooops, a bit of a threadjacking here...:pirate:
yes it can. the original holly on black beauty was a manual choke. when i ordered my edelbrock from jegs i just ordered the on with the manual choke. it was also almost $100 cheaper. not to mention the dvd that came with the carb. who needs the paper manual when you have a tuning dvd and labtop.
so after putting more thought into it and taking all your input on it this is the current plan.

1. rollcage is a must.
2. replace all the seals in the engine, new heads, roller rockers, cam, intake.
3. this is 50/50 right now. keep the offroad carb or spend the 2,000+ and swap it to fuel injection
4. 3 or 4 link
5.1 tons with lockers
6. bumpers front and rear
7. t-maxx 12,000 winch. im going to try and keep this build all in house as far as parts and work.
8. onboard air is a possibility. i did some pricing and its cheeper to go with the t-maxx winch and onboard air then the warn powerplant winch
9. as far as the body goes. 2 more coats of bed liner. if she is pretty i wont want to wheel it.
10. some interior work. seats, redo or replace the dash. custom gauge face. if any of you have seen forests blazer, he diamond plated the area where the speedo and other gauges go. same here while covering all the heater vents too ( the dont work any way).
11. recessing the cb into the dash
12. b&m floor shifter
13. might stay with 35s or go just a few sizes bigger
14. beadlocks are still undecided. i have thought of the inner air locks vs just the old beadlocking wheels.
15. gauges are a must. autometer bowtie gauge kit ( speedo, water, fuel, volts, oil)+ the tranny temp, oil temp gauges i have. ad a tach to that too.
16. then just little odds and ends, wipers need some work, roof rack, light bar. and know who has one:whistle:.

i figure i have a year + to think this over and change my ideas several more times. it really came down to 2 things 1. buy an occ production bike or 2. build the blazer to my liking. the bike would be cool but face it 3 months ridding time and where would i ride it around fairbanks? build a very capable rig and 4x4 with good friends year round. that sounds better to me. i will start ordering parts when i get closer to comming home. or some one could be nice and put me in for overhaulin
ok so the jegs catalog came the other day in the mail. so after spending some time in my reading room:whistle:, these are the ideas i have for the inside of black beauty, with a few dream ideas.
for the tranny with shift kit
[Image: 130-80680.jpg]
new gauges
[Image: 1051300.jpg]
[Image: 105-4347.jpg]
[Image: 1054998.jpg]
plus the tranny temp gauge i have already
this is a mabey
[Image: 778-66917C.jpg]
this would be real nice
[Image: 925-7482P.jpg]
and if i only had the 13,000 for this. yes boys and girls 572 ci
[Image: 955-108056.jpg]
just a few ideas
74blazerboy Wrote:so after putting more thought into it and taking all your input on it this is the current plan.

3. this is 50/50 right now. keep the offroad carb or spend the 2,000+ and swap it to fuel injection

May I suggest that proper vehicle control includes the ability to smoothly control your vehicle. In many situations, the carburetor compromises this ability and can put you, your vehicle or others into harm way. Anybody stall while climbing a hill and you have to three leg all the pedals and slip back a few feet until you get it fired up (with your toes to the floor on the accelerator pedal, your heel pushing the brake, the left foot on the clutch, left hand on the brake release and right hand on the wheel). Anybody posting up buying a carburetor should be looking at fuel injection-and NOT the aftermarket stuff out there.

I say junk the carburetor system and go TBI. It would be cheap and relatively easy. It would start and idle correctly all the time. No more bogging, running rich or stalling while climbing (or descending- MIKE) hills. Slightly better fuel economy and heck, if you want an autostarter-no problem. Many times, the FI upgrade would be I/M legal.
With all due respect, you need to drive a rig with a Truck Avenger before ruling them out. Mine runs smoothly at angles so steep my oil pump sucks air. Have to keep one eye on the gauge.Cool I've never stalled on a climb since I've been running a TA. So I don't buy the putting people in danger bit.
The only thing that will make my engine hiccup is sucking water and Fuelies will do that as well.
I used to want fuel injection myself, but after running my TA for the last several years I can't justify the expense. I get over 10 MPG with a 460 on 38's. Last I checked that's as good as 460's with factory fuel injection get.
And to top it off, I've never had to do anything other than adjust the idle speed.
Other than lockers, I would have to say that my Truck Avenger was one of the best modifications I've made to my truck to improve it's offroad performance.
:drama: