Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axle Strength comparison thread.
This thread will document the Ford 9" axle build and install into my 95 ZJ dubbed Lil Chief.
For ease of speak, the Versailles Ford 9" will be abberviated to VF-9.

First off, what the hell is a Lincoln Versailles?
[Image: 250px-Lincoln_Versailles.jpg]

Secondly, why in the hell would NBM wanna put a Lincoln axle under a ZJ?
Well, the Lincoln Versailles, in certain years, came with a Ford 9" axle with rear disc brakes and 31 spline shafts and 58 3/4" WMS to WMS.

Sounds good, right? Yes, that is why they are rare and expensive. I came across mine through trade with akdsmer wh swapped me it for a Ford 9" axle I had given to me by 78Calico. He needed the axle I had and I needed the width of axle he had.
The stock axle width for the 95 ZJ with the Dana 35 rear axle is 60 3/4" so I need to get my 2 additional inches of axle width back somehow. Short of cutting new axle tubes and ordering custom shafts, I bought some 1 1/4" wheel spacers from gp_1 and that will get me right where I want to be, just over stock width.
Now the downfall of the VF-9 axle is the ridiculously high 2.50 gear ratio. An EBAY auction later and I was in business with 3.73 ratio to match my front Dana 30.

More to come.
Are you going to have issues with spring perch and control arm mount placement with that narrow of an axle? Isn't that an issue that Geoff had with his rear D44 of the same width?
good question. I am going to cut off the stock leaf spring perches, clean up the outter housing and get some measurements to make sure there are no issues. I cannot see how1 inch would make much of difference considering the ZJ coil spring perches sit inboard of the stock axle in the first place.

I don't remember Geoff having that problem. What I do remember is the rear coil spring was tweeked and pushe dthe axle akwardly.
Next in line for decisions in the question of lockers. I already have a front Dana 30 ARB with the new compressor and all of the trimming so plugging in a rear 9" is all too easy, except for the price range of 700 to 800.

If I go with the lunchbox locker again(I did this with my Dana 35/EZ locker and my D44a Aussie) then I can get away with the tune of 350 bucks. A bit more expensive than the Dana counterparts but worth the coin for a nearly bulletproof axle.
Lastly is the possibility of spooling/Lincoln locker for it. This is by far the cheapest but the least street mannered way to go about it.
I have that same delemma for my D44. I think I am headed for a Detroit though. The way I see it, the price difference between that and the spool would be eaten up by tires over the long haul of the Jeep, so I might as well have a little better handling characteristics.
I decided to start on this today so I got to spend some time getting things all aligned up to do a good build and author a good build-up thread for it so others may follow.

So I cleaned up the faces on the rotors and temporarily mounted the spacers on it just to get an idea of width and look.
[Image: DSCN0188.JPG]

a nise beefy look. Can't wait to get it under there in place of the 35
[Image: DSCN0184.JPG]

the stock rear disc brakes in need of some lovin'
[Image: DSCN0189.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0191.JPG]

the stock E brake set-up. Kind of primitive, but at least it is functional. I have to give credit to Kelly. When he pulled this axle, he got all th trimminga with it.
[Image: DSCN0192.JPG]

gonna have to do something abot that driveshaft mounting plate. Either swap to a U joint or set up my OEM driveshaft with that style plate. I like the idea of the plate...
[Image: DSCN0190.JPG]
I have had Detroit locker, Aussie locker, in my jeep and a full spool in my Mustang
IMHO the lunchbox locker was the worst as far as acting weird, popping, letting go snapping it was an adventure when I first started driving it, the Detroit, I don't even know its back there, the full spool, I would here a few squeals when turning at full lock in a parking lot, but as far as reduced tire wear I drove it about 18,000 miles with out rotating the tires and could hardly tell the difference between the front and the rear. if I were making the decision I would go

1. Detroit
2. Lincoln
3. Aussie
Need some additional Info please. PM sent
Ronster Wrote:The way I see it, the price difference between that and the spool would be eaten up by tires over the long haul of the Jeep, so I might as well have a little better handling characteristics.

Good thought, especially if it's a DD and gets lot of miles, although Less of an issue with the lighter Jeeps and Zukis. Tires are expensive and at time you have to replace them in a set as well if you don't keep up on rotation. $$$$
another thing I need to do is get a parts number breakdown so I can order bearings, seals, brake pads, etc based on the rear axle.

Who is our resident Ford parts guy?
The axle is upside down. Do you have a shot of the ribbing on the 3rd member?
I have a currie hi pinion third (one that takes the 8.8 rp) and a detroit (8.8) i might be able to part with if you want to take this thing to a new level. pm if interested
Quote:
The axle is upside down.
yes, I know this.

Quote:
Do you have a shot of the ribbing on the 3rd member
I will take some more in-depth shots for Ole later. When I DO, I will get one of the ribbing as well. Maybe then you can explain to me what the different ribbing is.

Allonblack, I figure I will just stick with what I have since the shipping rom you to me would be a killer.
part number listing:
http://www.geocities.com/cping3/versaill...mbers.html
You shouldn't have any issues with the spring perches as far as the width of the axle. I put the scout 44 nder the XJ and it is much narrower and had plenty of room.
Your XJ has leafs, Nate has coils all the way around.
Yeah, but what I was trying to say is he should have plenty of room, just didn't say it clear enough. I have enough roum for coil buckets on mine as it sits.
FOR OLE:

Here are some in-depth of the VF-9. Let me know if you want any others.
[Image: DSCN0189_343474.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0192_603784.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0196.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0197.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0198.JPG]

In the next day or so I am goign to pull the shafts, drain the pumpkin, and pull the carrier. I will do the gear set-up and thanks to an idea from crazy4ink, I may have a plan for the bracketry.
[Image: DSCN0200.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0201.JPG]
[Image: DSCN0202.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0203.JPG]
[Image: DSCN0204.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0205.JPG]
[Image: DSCN0206.JPG]

[Image: DSCN0207.JPG]
Geoff's axle problems had nothing to do with the axle width.
He had a bent coil and a fixed-length tracbar.

nate, I htink it wouls sound cool in you Lincoln-locked your Lincoln axle. but just on paper. Go full-detroit.
I finally got to invest some more time into the project.

I pulled the axle shafts and to my surprise, they are 28 spline, not the 31 spline I had read about. No worries though. They are still a beefy shaft so I dont have afear of breaking one.

I also pulled the 3rd member out to reveal a muck flowing out of the housing. Next time I will stat to disassemble the 3rd member and start the re-gearing process. Then it will be time to shop for a locker.
I dont think 3 splines is gonna make much difference
Mini-spool, $35 brand new, but since you are still DDing it, wait till you get anther DD first.