Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tranny Question
OK I know someone here must know something about trannies. My 94 XJ 5-speed (I'm thinking ax-15) is making some troubling noise. When coming to a stop or after the tranny has warmed up with the clutch pushed in and gear shift in first it makes a thumping noise. Ive noticed it when coming to a stop or when sitting at a stop sign. It also likes to grind a little when going from first to second. I'm thinking of starting with a full fluid change however I don't have a lot of faith that that's going to fix the problem. So whats everyone think? Clutch, throw-out bearing or what? Or should I look into new transmissions?
Grinding and clunking doesn't sound like a clutch to me - more of a synchronizer or internal part - but I am no trans-expert.
The reason I thought clutch was because it only happens when the clutch is pushed in. If I'm moving with the clutch released it doesn't do it. And if I put it in neutral with the clutch in it stops.
No ideas guys?
throwout bearing???
I was thinking that but wouldn't it do it any time the clutch was pushed in and not just when its in gear with the clutch pushed in?
sigh i dont know... iono id have to take a ride in it to make a more educated guess... drive it and wiggle the stick around a little... lol...