Poll: What type of Battery?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Decent regular battery from Auto store
40.00%
6 40.00%
Cheaper battery from Box store
6.67%
1 6.67%
Optima style battery
53.33%
8 53.33%
Hamsters and a wheel
0%
0 0%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of Battery?
I'm really undecided here. I've had all kinds of batteries. And specifically the Optimas I've had the most issues with. I've literally blown two of them up. One blew apart on me on the way to 55 mile once. Yes they are more expensive. And they have smaller warranty. NAPA only warranties them for 36 months. NAPA's lowest end battery has an 84 month warranty. I have an everstart maxx from wally world in the jeep and I've had it for about 4 years and have abused it more than I should have. I have had a draw on the jeep, I have killed it winching, it has froze and it still works. I have an interstate regular battery in the old dodge that is closing in on 9 years old and it always works except for when it sits in the cold for a month without being plugged in. My dodge cmae with what I would put in the decent battery category. One starting seeping fluid out the top now. They both are going out. It is sluggish to start in the morning or after sitting at work. It has been sitting for about 8 hours today unplugged and the batteries would turn the motor over enough to start it.

this is an intersting poll. But I do have an agenda with this one. I have to fork over the coin on two new batteries for the dodge. As good as some of the gel batteries are most don't carry a good warranty and that is important to me. I want something that's going to be covered if it goes bad.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 11:05 pm ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 pm ----------

[/COLOR]I also didn't realize the new optimas were no longer a gel battery but AGM. As is the Orbital. Seems the gell batteries are gone. Researching stuff is good.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 11:17 pm ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 pm ----------

[/COLOR]Research is really awesome. Seems that Gell batteries can actually have more downfalls the other. They have to be charged at a slower rate and at a lower voltage or they will be destroyed. Also operating in hot temps can lead to water evaporation in them, and the cost of course. the only real advantages I see are they wont leak if busted and they stand up to the cold better than the standard lead acid battery. Most places dont and wont sell Gel batteries anymore thus the reason Optima quite making them.

AGM has all the advantages of a gel battery and more without having the disadvantages. Supposedly they can be returned to a 95% charge even after sitting for 30 days totally discharged. Seems these do have alot of advantages of the lead acid type. The cost is the only disadvantage. I haven't had an optima battery since they changed. I may check out the battery place on vanhorn to see what other AGM batteries they have.

Messages In This Thread
What kind of Battery? - by akram - 08 Jan 11, 11:23 pm
What kind of Battery? - by ak_petey - 08 Jan 11, 11:33 pm
What kind of Battery? - by Dr Brian - 08 Jan 11, 11:50 pm
What kind of Battery? - by ak_petey - 08 Jan 11, 11:51 pm
What kind of Battery? - by akram - 09 Jan 11, 12:17 am
What kind of Battery? - by ak_petey - 09 Jan 11, 05:50 am
What kind of Battery? - by 88XJ - 09 Jan 11, 08:10 am
What kind of Battery? - by Dr Brian - 09 Jan 11, 09:10 am
What kind of Battery? - by Bulldog - 09 Jan 11, 11:10 am
What kind of Battery? - by akcowboy76 - 09 Jan 11, 04:36 pm
What kind of Battery? - by ak_petey - 09 Jan 11, 06:05 pm