Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lifting 4 runner
How hard would it be to lift a 1996 4 runner?
Here is one I found for it....2.5" suspension
[Image: daystar_03_thumb.gif] Toyota 1996-02 4Runner 2&4WD - Suspension Lift (2 1/2" Lift Front Coil Spacers 2 1/2" Rear Coil Spacers)
SKU #: KT09106L / Weight: 7.00 $315.95

Here's the link for it:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-.../to=r.html

Don't know if the ones for a 95 will work or not. Can't find any but the one so far for a 96.
This one is a little more, but I think a better choice. Comes with a bit more on the deluxe package which was like 401.00 when I looked...
TOYOTA 4-RUNNER SUSPENSION LIFT KIT
[Image: 4Runner_with_2.5inch_lift_sm.jpg]
The Toyota 4runner has been one of the most popular SUV’s for more than a decade. Everyone loves them because they are
[Image: TY120_sm.jpg]
[Image: TY126_sm.jpg]

dependable and great looking. You can make yours look even better by installing a quality suspension lift kit from Jack-it and running bigger tires. We have several options to lift your 1996 - 2001 4runner. If you just want to level the front a bit, we recommend the 1” suspension lift kit by Rancho (pictured top right). It works great and is fairly inexpensive and simple to install. Or, you can lift your front and rear 2.5” with our polyurethane coil spacer and isolator lift kit package (Deluxe package pictured center right). The Standard package includes front spacers and coil isolator kit and rear spacers with rear shocks. The Deluxe package also includes sway bar bushings, tie rod boots and an extra set of shock boots.

96-02 4WD 4runner 1 inch packages .
[Image: button_standard.JPG]
n/a
96-02 4WD 4runner 2.5 inch packages
[Image: button_standard.JPG]
[Image: button_deluxe.JPG]

here is the link to it.....
http://www.jackit.com/toyota/toyota_4runner.htm
thanks
It looks like it is fairly easy to do like it will be on mine. So far though, 2.5 is the only suspension lift they have out for the 96 unless you can get one fabricated or maybe a body lift too. Don't be afraid to ask for help putting it on when you get it even if you're not a member yet.
I realize that I am a “newbie” on this forum (I’ll post a little entro here shortly). But there are A LOT of lift options for a 96 4runner. I would highly suggest doing some reading Here: http://www.yotatech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1 these guys bleed 4runner lift knowledge. I know a bit (because of the similarities to the Tacoma) and would be happy to help out. The first thing you need to ask yourself is how much are you willing to spend, and then you can plan from there.
Along with chwtoy's thoughts:

What's your overall goal? Some build rigs in steps, some all at once. All at once, if done right, can save money in the long run though it may cost more up front.

Do you know your preference to body lift vs suspension lifts?

Do you know what sized tire dyou want and what amount of lift it would require - with thoughts of articulation considered?

Do your research, ask people with specific knowledge regarding Toyotas, and then ask for help as well.
well i want 33s to start out with.
no i do not know my preference between the too
i am still new at this so not sure what i whant right now
I recommend suspension over body.
Suspension lifts normally allow more flex / articualtion.
Body lifts simply leave the suspension alone and raise the body.

So in a way it depends on budget/wants/needs

With IFS the lfits are normally expensive. If you want to simply run bigger tires, a body lift may be better considering budget/desire

If you want a more capable off-road vehicle: A suspension lift would most likely be the answer. If you wanna go all out, a solid axle swap (SAS) may be better (as solid axles are more preferrable than IFS to most off-roaders - although the right IFS lift can also funciton very well.)

Again - it may all dpeend on your end goal, current needs, and current budget.
33's are easy with a 3rd gen, just replace the front coils with Old man Emu 881's and 890's for the rear (about $300 including shipping from Wheelers Offroad).

You'll have to trim the pinch weld in the rear of your front fenders and I would really sugest some aftermarket wheels to get a little less backspacing. Oh and you might need new rear shocks (not positve on the 4runner). You can buy the OME's from wheelers for about $220 or just get a set locally for a little less just depends on what kind of ride you are after. Other than that it's an easy Saturday job with a floor jack, jack stands, a rented strut compressor from Schucks and an air gun.

Of course this just one of about 20 ways you could go about it, but I would guess this to be the most common lift there is on the 3rd gen 4runner.