Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Prep for a rig
That is an age old debate. Some guys love them, most don't Big Grin
nate379 Wrote:I wouldn't run a set of MTRs unless they were free... .

I like this guy already!

Although, I did infact, turn down a set of larger MTRs for free once.

But Nate, trust me, you're not going to get through to these guys about MTRs. I've been trying for 5 years now.
I'm on your side Nate, just say no to MTR's.
By the ay I run BFG MT's on my XJ and I can tell you they suck on the icy roads. Siping will help. George has a set of of siped on his Tj and I thinkt hey do fairly well.
Angler Wrote:Goodyear MTRs work awesome on the Ice!

Blizzaks work awesome on ice. Mud tires work awesome in the mud. Big Grin
While fuel injection will start your vehicle up when it's extremely cold outside, The vehicle will run extremely rich until it starts warming up and has the tendency to wash the oil off the cylinder walls. It's only a problem if you like reasonable engine life though. Your oil won't last nearly as long either.

The express lube on the Old Steese thinks that a "winterization" doesn't include a block heater as well. Rolleyes

My truck is plugged in today. Cool
Never thought about that, good point Kelly.
Aafes installs block heaters for under $100 parts and labor. I think thats pretty reasonable if you dont want to do it yourself.
sevenslats Wrote:I like this guy already!

Although, I did infact, turn down a set of larger MTRs for free once.

But Nate, trust me, you're not going to get through to these guys about MTRs. I've been trying for 5 years now.

I have had 2 sets of MT/R's. they sucked on my f350 but are awesome on my jeep.
So more about the battery heater debate...:twisted::poke: The way I understand it a charged battery won't freeze and a discharged one will. Makes perfect sense to me from a chemistry standpoint. Keeping on the high school chemistry angle (I'm no chemist so please correct me if I'm wrong) isn't heat a catalyst in the reaction that produces the electricity? Lower temperature = less electricity output from the reaction. So great, you have a charged battery that's not frozen but still puts out way less power to crank the engine. I also was under the impression that the alternator should keep the battery charged. If you turn a battery into a trickle charger crack baby should you run the charger all year round? I can see a battery pad overheating a battery if it's in the high 20's, but who plugs in at that temperature? The fumes from charging will corrode a heater causing a fire hazard, so shouldn't a heater just be a regularly replaced service item say every 20-30K miles or so?
lol @ crack baby!
i have yet to see a battery become an "crack baby". all the trucks we send north have chargers not pads on them
Kevin claims to have "hooked" a few.
Yeah I agree. Just trying to avoid running 2 sets of tires if I can avoid it. I'm not sure if the siped BFGs will be good enough?

akdsmer Wrote:Blizzaks work awesome on ice. Mud tires work awesome in the mud. Big Grin
I wouldn't think a trickle charger would damage a battery. If your rig is always needing the charger, I would guess there is some sort of draw the charger is covering up, or the batteries are junk.

Batteries are supposed to only last 4-5 years.... that being said, the ones in my truck are about 7 years old best I can tell and they work great.
I have run non-siped BFG's on several daily driver without problems - like anything, you have to adjust your driving to them a bit. I slow down a bit sooner, and take corners slower, and have no real difficulties.
Are the roads pretty much solid ice all winter like in Anchorage or are they better on keeping the roads clear?

I grew up in Maine and then moved to Anchorage so winter driving isn't anything new to me... I'm just thinking about the ALCAN trip mainly.
I drove the ALCAN this past Nov and loved it. I went to the lower 48 and back. I thought it was better than when we drove it in the summer. Less traffic mostly just the trucks. There was some construction in spots. They say open places are few and far between, but We never drove too far between places. Between Destructin bay and the border is the worst part of the road, lost of frost heaves. I towed a trailer back up and had zero issues. My dodge has bridgestone dueler AT's on it though.

Oh and be glad you don't have a 2007 or newer diesel, cause there wasn't one place that had ULSD even the places I stopped at in montana didn't have it.
Yes, I had the BFG's on the Jeep sipped and they work great.
nate379 Wrote:Are the roads pretty much solid ice all winter like in Anchorage or are they better on keeping the roads clear?

I grew up in Maine and then moved to Anchorage so winter driving isn't anything new to me... I'm just thinking about the ALCAN trip mainly.

The roads in the interior are better than here during winter. The snow is so darn dry, it just blows off the roads when cars pass. Intersections, they still get icy. But the Richardson is always clear and dry.
Parking lots are packed ice. The bigger ones put down gravel, but they're still lumpy ice.
when I get back from Iraq I plan on running my 33nch MTRS on road and 35 inch Boggers offroad.

I love my MTRS, I had street tires on my truck and it was a slippery death trap then when I put the MTRs on its still a death trap but it gets much better traction on the ice rds.
Geoff you should've stayed later this year, the Rich has been horrible. Badger is always horrible.
At least it's not windy. :mad:
Where do you guys get the heater pads for the oil pan, etc? No luck at Napa here. I did get a block heater for the Jeep though, was only $35.
I bought 3 or 4 at N-A-P-A in North Pole.
I also bought a set from JC Whitney back in summer 2000.
I bought all of mine at the shopette on Eielson, they are several dollars a piece cheaper than the ones at Napa.
Yeah but me being in Idaho, the Eielson shoppette is just a little too far away right now Big Grin

I want to get my truck all wired up so I don't have to worry about it on the drive up and when I get there. It'll be stressful enough getting situated at work and moved into a place.

I'll check JC Whitney. I didn't even think of them!

Do you guys think an oil pan heater is needed if I have a block heater? There's 3 gallons of oil in there, so I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but I also don't want to be drawing more electricity than I need... I'm told it isn't too cheap!

Right now I was of just doing the trans pan and "maybe" one on the rear diff, though I don't know if that would be overkill? and also the little trickle charger.