Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Interior Offroad Tire
You do realize why they are on backorder right?

MT/R's stopped production several months ago. The only ones available are the leftovers in the warehouses.

I'd start shopping for a different tire, those are gonna be hard to come by.

There is no expected build date for more. Discount tire has over 1000 on backorder with no expected ship date (as of 12 May). Summit shows them in stock and tirerack.com shows low stock for anything above 31's and backorder above 33's. From what I've gathered from a good friend who sells tires for a living, if you don't have them, learn to live without them.

There was rumor that they were going to redesign when they put them back into production, but that's just a rumor. Goodyear did shut down one of it's tire plants and with the cut in tire production, they quit producing tires that were considered expensive which is the category the MTR definitely fits in.

On a funny note, I've noticed that we no longer are getting Goodyear aircraft tires here, we're only getting Michelin's where in the past we've primarily used Goodyears.

I know several folks running the Firestone Destination M/T, and they love it. Currently it's rated the highest in Maximum traction tires on tirerack.com.
the firestone destination is basically the Dayton Timberline MT tire. I ran soem of those for a little bit.
AKMark Wrote:You do realize why they are on backorder right?

MT/R's stopped production several months ago. The only ones available are the leftovers in the warehouses.

According to American tire, they have been back in production for the last few weeks. I was #1 on their order list, so I was supposed to get mine before they started stock shelves.

With that said, I am looking at a few different options.
their Cooper Discoverer STTs or STS muds are some cool looking tires...
naturalbornmudder Wrote:their Cooper Discoverer STTs or STS muds are some cool looking tires...

Im looking at the STT's now.
TDS carries both the Cooper STT and the Firestone Destination M/T. I went with the Firestone on my CUCV. At the very least, check prices on the STT at TDS and American Tire.
naturalbornmudder Wrote:the firestone destination is basically the Dayton Timberline MT tire. I ran soem of those for a little bit.

How did they perform?
Ronster Wrote:According to American tire, they have been back in production for the last few weeks. I was #1 on their order list, so I was supposed to get mine before they started stock shelves.

With that said, I am looking at a few different options.

I called my buddy last night, and he told me that they were not producing any at this time.

A check of all the press releases from Goodyear confirmed that they haven't restarted yet.
I've run the 33x10.5x15 BFG AT on my Taco's for the last 9 years or so year round. The originals lasted about 3 or 4 years before I found some kind of weird deformaty in the edges of the tread, where the tread ends and the sidewall begins. Sears replaced them taking into count the tread remaining. They have always performed well in the winters, even on ice. You just have to drive appropriate for conditions. We have driven our Taco down to Soldotna for every Christmas or Thanksgiving or winter trips down to Glennallen and they always performed well, whether ice, hard pack, or fresh deep snow. Of road they do good, except in mud. They did not perform good at all on ice on my Land Cruiser though, I would spin out really easily due to the short wheel base. I replaced the AT's with BFG MT's that I got studded and have had no issues in the winter on the ice with these tires. For summer I have the Cooper STT and they have done quite well so far. They don't do as good as Swampers or Boggers, but these they are not. The only stucks I have had with these is in the mud getting high centered. Seem pretty puncture resistant also.
I had considered the Toyo ones until I had a look at them. I don't know why they made the outside lugs taper together instead of keeping them equal distant. To me this would help with keeping the mud locked in?:confused:
Check out the tread pattern and then compare to the Cooper STT and see if you see what I see?
Anyway, enough now.
I lied:-) Anyway, check Sams club for pricing on any BFG's, you may have to order and what up to 4 weeks I think. I bought my BFG MT from them and got a way better price than anyone else locally. I bought the Coopers at TDS and they had better price than American Tire.
ive had MTR's on my 78 for five years not alot of miles some sitting for aprox two years but mostly as dd and they have verry good wear if you keep in mind tire matiance rotation and checking tire pressure regularly especialy during cold weather!!! mine are siped and do fine in mud,snow,ice and rocks from what ive read and heard that sipinng your tire will increase life! of tire and traction not only on ice but also on rocks and if you want to float tire width is important also mine are 33.5x12.5x15 for longevity and performance that ive receved from them i will not complain and have never had side wall problems.
i have owned tsl's ,mtr's and bfg's all of wich have their strong points .

my mtr's are still on the road with almost 60,000 miles on them now and still wearing great ..(i think them being on a light rig helps alot ) but i never really liked them in the snowy /icy roads or in the mud .. sand and rocks and on the wet roads they always seemed to shine and never got too noisy on the road..

my bfg's mts i like for a more in middle ground type tire ..its not bad on the road when siped actully pretty decent on icy roads ..seem to wear well and do pretty good down south here in the mud and with my 8.5 rim with my 35's i can air down to 10 psi without popping a bead with a good healthy bulge .. i have had 2 bfg's tire break down in fairbanks the inner liner broke in half when i drove over the tracks at -42 but Sam's club had no issues giving me new tires under warranty .

on a side note i dont think bfg at's get enough credit .. on all my DD i run them they wear really well very quiet on road and actualy good trail tire on sand ,rocks and snow while in az alot of folks still run 35 BFG at's ..their alot cheaper and for the occasional trail guy it fits their budget and their daily driver needs . and for the record i bought 35x12.50 at sam's in anchorage for 100 bucks each on clearence rack a few months back and 33x12.50 for 69 bucks ..that at least gets ya out on the trail !

my bogger's were the worst tire i have ever driven on the street hands down .. but dang they were like spider man on the trails .. side hilling was fun in the mud ..but they are like having turbo power in the bogs .

but i also had so much traction at times i would snap front cv's like tooth picks .. side walls are un matched in strength and durability ..but they suck on the road and wear faster than any tire i have owned ..but to their credit its not what it was designed for ..
You're better off without the MTRs anyways. :thefinger:
Another tire I have heard good things about is the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo. Seems quieter than the BFG AT and performs well in all conditions except mud of course.