Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Interior Offroad Tire
Joe, he's on TrXus now. And they are wearing too fast for his taste.

Ron, I apologize for not having solid numbers for mileage on those. But I will admit, it was faster than some other tires I've ran.
TJVigilante Wrote:Ahem Trxus.

Im running Trxus MT's and Im not going back to them. On the banner ride I was less than impressed.
Oh, my mistake. The possibility for the less-than-spectacular progress on banner could have been due to the wide footprint of the tires with such a light vehicle. You weren't locked up were you?
sevenslats Wrote:Joe, he's on TrXus now. And they are wearing too fast for his taste.

Ron, I apologize for not having solid numbers for mileage on those. But I will admit, it was faster than some other tires I've ran.

Well, with the number of miles that I have ran up this winter, they didnt wear that bad. They do well on ice and snow pack, but lack when there is powder. They were well worth what I bought them for!
As much as it pains me to say... go goodyears. The BFG's are crap in Alaska. Trust me, I have seen MORE than my share of failures. You may never realize that they are falling apart until you have a slow leak and try to repair. The inner liner on the bfg's is the weekest link. They literally fall apart in the cold. I have never seen a catastophic failure do to the cold... per say... usually what happens is the tyre starts to leak (cracked inner liner, so permeation is increased tenfold) and the person driving doesn't know/realize that it's low, so they drive on it low until BOOM. It wasn't from the cold (totally) it was do to loss of air...
As for the warrenty, Yes BFG WILL warrenty them (unless things have changed over the last year). BUT, the thing is, the only dealer is in Anchorage. So you either have to dismount them, send them to them, and wait for them to send you new tyres(after paying your percentage) and remount them or go to Anchorage and have them do them there. M.A.S.T (Michilin Americas Small Tyres) will warrenty them out for UP TO four years as a cosmetic defect...

Now that that rant is over...
The goodyears are the better choice between the two (as much as it pains me to say) MT/R stands for Mud Terrain Reinforced, It does have a three ply sidewall just like the BFG's, but they have added a little bit more. I think they call it something like durawall or something for better traction. They also added a new silica compound for more puncture and cut resistance. Plus they wear really good, but so do the bfg's...

Hope this helps.
Hmm, well my tires are leaking air but it's always because of a valve stem or bead. Right now my spare has some junk shoved into the bead, my last replaced tire was also leaking at the bead but they replaced it due to sidewall damage (scrubbing it on a rock). I'm also assuming the current low-air tire is due to bead or valve stem, but it's got a small gouge in the sidewall as well so that may be the issue.

Sears will replace BFG tires due to defects, but they don't come with a mileage warranties from anyone. If you have an inner liner failure, or a sidewall ply goes apespit on you, they'll replace it and prorate the cost of a new tire based on mileage used.

Mel had his tire pop on fairbanks creek, but he also landed it aired up on some sharp schist.

And MTR is Maximum Traction/Reinforced..has nothing to do with Mud. :p
same thing... smartass...

I quess memory not so good anymore... Tongue

And just 'cause a tyre leaks slow when it has a cracked inner liner doesn't mean it's the only thing that will/can leak. I tyre will naturally lose about 1psi of pressure per month (ish) do to permeation, worse in colder temps. the cracked inner liner just dramatizes this...
Ok, now I need to vent..
[rant]
had my tires on order for over a month (Goodyear MTRs) with the PX gas station. I checked today to see if they had come in yet, and was told that the factory is backlogged and it wil be at least another month. Any other suggestions for brands? I have called every tire store in town, and noone seems to have 33x12.5x15's in stock.

[/rant]
bfg's
what do you know about the Cooper STT 2's?
They're hit or miss from what I see on the trails. Lots of wheelspin is needed to clean them in mud...otherwise they do alright. Check out some Yokohama Geolanders like Darick has...that or some Nitto Mud Grapplers.
I like them and they seem to hold up real nice. Kind of like MTR's in a way, they do pack with mud, but as all all-round tire, they seem good. I do not know their winter handling and surviveability tho...

My personal experience with Yoko's is that they wear quickly. Holeski had the same thing to say. I do not know if Darrick had the same problem with them.
Yeah Darick said that with his driving style, he didn't get to 20k on them. So I guess they wouldn't be the best way to go...
yep, checked on the Yoko's today as well, and for the price, I cant afford to replace them yearly.

According to American Tire, the STT 2 is kevlar sidewall which should hold up well, but they have not called me back with a price yet. Anyone with experience with them during the winter? A buddy of mine swears by them on the road (snow, ice, and rain), but has no offroad experience.
Can your current tires make the trip to Anch?
I almost guarantee there's a set of 33s for sale down there.
sevenslats Wrote:Can your current tires make the trip to Anch?
I almost guarantee there's a set of 33s for sale down there.

Probably, but I called Sams, Walmart, and Sears there with no luck, but I was only checking MTR's and MT's.
Kelly's got STT's on his Dodge...he can probably give you the best skinny on their winter road performance.
The coopers are nice. Tough sidewalls. I have heard a few ppl say they are wearing a little too quick. Kelly has them on his dodge talk to him. I thought about them for my dodge at one point but way too much money for them and they wont get put to good use (truck doesn't go wheeling).
Ronster Wrote:Probably, but I called Sams, Walmart, and Sears there with no luck, but I was only checking MTR's and MT's.

Kodiak Offroad (that's where your current tires came from, actually)
Northern 4x4 Extreme
Costco
American Tire
Muffler City
I'm sure there's more. It's a big place.

Not that you'll have time to shop around :tease:
Johnsons tire service
the little shop on Post road
sevenslats Wrote:Kodiak Offroad (that's where your current tires came from, actually)
Northern 4x4 Extreme
Costco
American Tire
Muffler City
I'm sure there's more. It's a big place.

Not that you'll have time to shop around :tease:

:kicktotheteeth:

The Jeep will be on a trailer to Palmer, so no worries if they dont get done before then.
What about a set of Toyo Open Country MT's? I know a few people in the lower 48 that love them. They rate them between a MTR and a BFG MT that and they come in a 33x13.5x15.
ajpthng Wrote:What about a set of Toyo Open Country MT's? I know a few people in the lower 48 that love them. They rate them between a MTR and a BFG MT that and they come in a 33x13.5x15.

I'll check on those, thanks for the heads up. If those dont pan out, I guess I will just wait for the MTRs........Sad
Well, the saga continues, or should I say ends. I called Ft WW today to find out whats up, my tires were supposed to be in Monday and I had not gotten the call yet. Turns out, they lied, the tires didnt ship, and the line is backed way up. I told them to take a hike, got a refund, and will take my $ somewhere else. Maybe a trip to anchortown is in my future Sad It would have been nice to save just over $200, but their customer service sucks, so oh well.
I wish you could have found this out 2 weeks go, I could have transported...
That sucks. I hate to hear this. When I ordered my one tire it was quick and easy.