Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip
I just got off the phone with Peter Armington who is the Chief Ranger for Denali. He said we could do what ever we want up to the Sushana River since it doesn’t belong to the park. Other then that inside the park we would be cited under title 36 4.10a.

§ 4.10 Travel on park roads and designated routes.

(a) Operating a motor vehicle is prohibited except on park roads, in parking areas and on routes and areas designated for off-road motor vehicle use.
(b) Routes and areas designated for off-road motor vehicle use shall be promulgated as special regulations. The designation of routes and areas shall comply with §1.5 of this chapter and E.O. 11644 (37 FR 2887). Routes and areas may be designated only in national recreation areas, national seashores, national lakeshores and national preserves.
© The following are prohibited:
(1) Operating a motor vehicle not equipped with pneumatic tires, except that a track-laying motor vehicle or a motor vehicle equipped with a similar traction device may be operated on a route designated for these vehicles by the superintendent.
(2) Operating a motor vehicle in a manner that causes unreasonable damage to the surface of a park road or route.
(3) Operating a motor vehicle on a route or area designated for off-road motor vehicle use, from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, without activated headlights and taillights that meet the requirements of State law for operation on a State highway.

Now when I ask if he could send me something in writing he said he could not because he had nothing to support it. He said that the road belongs to the park and we could not go past the Sushana. He agreed that it was a road and that there is nothing written say you can or can not drive back there. So I don’t see how 36 4.10a means jack here. Sounds like more BS if they can’t back it up in writing. I have some papers here that say the road is part of the Division of Mining, Land & Water which is state, but Pete says unless it becomes a RS2477 he can keep us off of the road inside the park. When I asked about the ATV’s on the tail inside the park in the summer that the Ranger told us sometimes had a hard time finding the trail, he would not comment on that. He also had no comment on the mushers trying to keep us out under they us public land for there income. When I asked him about the legal/ethical speech we got from Michael the Ranger, he said that that was wrong and he would have worded it differently and we where fine up to the Sushana River any time of the year. Again he said we can’t go past that river but he had nothing written to back it up. So we need to either work on making it an RS2477, find paperwork stating the road belongs to another agency or NPS paperwork that says we can go drive in. At this point I think I would risk it with the lack of proper written laws to back up anything they are saying.

Messages In This Thread
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by akdsmer - 12 Feb 07, 11:15 am
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by akdsmer - 12 Feb 07, 01:43 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by AlaskaXJ - 12 Feb 07, 11:38 am
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by naturalbornmudder - 12 Feb 07, 11:55 am
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by Advent - 12 Feb 07, 12:33 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by AlaskaXJ - 12 Feb 07, 12:43 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by holeski - 12 Feb 07, 01:28 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by AlaskaXJ - 12 Feb 07, 02:38 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by TJVigilante - 12 Feb 07, 02:41 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by holeski - 12 Feb 07, 02:53 pm
Stampede Road - after the Feb trip - by akdsmer - 12 Feb 07, 03:13 pm