Poll: What is your ideal rig size for the trail
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
small for manueverability
23.53%
4 23.53%
large for interior comfort
0%
0 0%
weak for a lightweight drivetrain
0%
0 0%
big power because I like it
11.76%
2 11.76%
overbuilt
5.88%
1 5.88%
bolt-ons, mostly due to $$$
0%
0 0%
large enough for the family
35.29%
6 35.29%
somewhere in the middle
17.65%
3 17.65%
small for other reason
5.88%
1 5.88%
large for other reason
0%
0 0%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail
I prefer light and lean when it comes to vehicles, manueverability is a must. I prefer manueverability, weakness and lightweight to heavy and strong.
I found that there is little that lightweight and low power/high torque cannot accomplish. Even the dreaded mud holes can be overcame. Look at Jon and Leni's going away run. ChevyKev, the John Deere Ford and a few others made it look easy, but the lil' T, while struggling through, did make it successfully. The only Jeep to make a full run through, even with the dreaded, not so good in mud but excells everywhere else MTR's. Lightweight and tire speed helped me several times. In fact, the entire winchfest that was Jon and Leni's going away run, I was only stuck 3 times in a 14 hour run. While Jon's YJ did do better than that, the 38.5" Boggers on the YJ had a lot to do with that. With the other Jeeps on the trail, the only thing I had different than anyone else was a 4 banger. Lighter than the 6 cylinder, just as torquey, just a cooincidence? I dont think so.
Now, I am not saying that light and lean is the true ultimate payoff. I have had to get a tug from Ryand and Kev on a few occasions, but I didn't win the boat anchor award at every trail ride either.
I have seen a few references abou thte great white on here lately. Zigged when he should have zagged, but other than that the rig did well on tight trails as well as mud. A heavy pig by anyones standards though. When Martin and I towed it back from 55 Mile at 3 am, the frost heaves combined with the weight of that whale made the front end of Kev's 3+3 come off the ground a few times. It was ridiculous. Pat winched the truck up on the trailer and it was all his winch could to get it up there.
Several times, with the assistance of an anchor like a fat kid or a big tree, little rigs have successfully pulled the fat kids out of a stuck when the mud finally does overcome the monsterous tires and horsepower. Sammy Mike and Suzuki Dave had, on several times, winched out rigs 3 to 4 times their weight.

Family fitment is a big priority for me these days and I have considered letting the TJ go in lieu of getting a rig with capacity for 5 plus gear. I am toying with the idea of XJ/ZJ/WJ. At this point I think I will probably hold on to the TJ and also try to pick up a family wheeler that the whole fam can wheel in, like Jon and Leni did.
The TJ is paid off, and ya cant beat that with a stick!

Messages In This Thread
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by naturalbornmudder - 17 Jan 07, 11:49 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by 4x4_MMMH_4x4 - 17 Jan 07, 07:42 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by AK20 - 17 Jan 07, 09:10 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by TJVigilante - 17 Jan 07, 10:13 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akjeep - 17 Jan 07, 11:30 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by SAINT - 17 Jan 07, 01:27 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by TJVigilante - 17 Jan 07, 09:10 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 03:19 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 03:48 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 04:19 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 04:52 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by Advent - 15 Feb 07, 05:31 pm