Poll: What is your ideal rig size for the trail
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
small for manueverability
23.53%
4 23.53%
large for interior comfort
0%
0 0%
weak for a lightweight drivetrain
0%
0 0%
big power because I like it
11.76%
2 11.76%
overbuilt
5.88%
1 5.88%
bolt-ons, mostly due to $$$
0%
0 0%
large enough for the family
35.29%
6 35.29%
somewhere in the middle
17.65%
3 17.65%
small for other reason
5.88%
1 5.88%
large for other reason
0%
0 0%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail
I prefer a more 'modular' approach to a rig. I'd like something that I can do minor suspension tweaks on and swap tires out depending upon the scenario. BIG tires for longer trips, smaller ones for weekend stuff. I'd like to be able to fit 47's to do some of the longer trails up here that require river crossings, but there's no way I'd want to run those all the time. They're just too big. 37-40" tires seem perfect for most other stuff.

As much as I'd like to say 'go light', it just isn't doable for anything other than shorter trips. The Samurai is great but can't carry more than a weekend's worth of gear. So you've got to go bigger to get the same ground PSI. Not rockwells or anything like that, so long as you keep to a lower power engine with the proper gearing (as much as we joke about it, Kelly can get his tires spinning when he wants).

Basically, I plan for a 6" suspension lift and I'll move the body out of the way for the bigger tires. About 10" wider than I currently am axle-wise would be perfect for most trails with decently backspaced rims, and go to low backspacing for really big tires.

Basically, something very similar to the Green Lantern but capable of fitting wider tires. Oh, and still using $0.78/can paint!

Edit: And overbuilt axles. Breakage sucks.
akdsmer Wrote:Small and maneuverable got Kyle and I <almost> to the bus on Stampede. All you other guys bring your chainsaws.....Big Grin

We were getting just as hit as they were, you just care less about your paint!

Just look at your hood...There's no way a motorcycle wouldn't have gotten beat.

Messages In This Thread
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by naturalbornmudder - 17 Jan 07, 11:49 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by 4x4_MMMH_4x4 - 17 Jan 07, 07:42 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by AK20 - 17 Jan 07, 09:10 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by TJVigilante - 17 Jan 07, 10:13 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akjeep - 17 Jan 07, 11:30 am
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by SAINT - 17 Jan 07, 01:27 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by TJVigilante - 17 Jan 07, 09:10 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 03:19 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 03:48 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 04:19 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by akdsmer - 15 Feb 07, 04:52 pm
Homepage Poll: Ideal rig size for the trail - by Advent - 15 Feb 07, 05:31 pm