Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New recreation area by Healy!
on a side note, the PR crew did a bang-up job of being a Parks Highway pit crew to a stranded motorist. Contacted, diagnosed, and left in good hands in less than 5 minutes.
" Pitstop....humfff!"
That is great news, I personally want to thank you guys for going down there on AO and the wheeling community's behalf...Well done!!!
What a trip. We had 6 guys, two rigs, 22 below to start and we ended up in the mid 20's ABOVE in McKinley Village! I have a few musings to share from the trip.

First: I am impressed by and grateful for the support by our military membership on this issue. Stampede can be wheeled currently and as people who don’t intend to be in Alaska forever, our military members could just wheel without regard for the future. Instead, our military AO members – people who are not likely to be long term residents - are channeling their energy in ensuring that we not only maintain our existing trails, but they are trying to grow our opportunities. Thank you! This action speaks volumes about your character and your concern for our hobby.

Second: Before we went to the meeting, I had some concerns that our user group was going to be left out in the cold concerning the Stampede Trail Recreational Area. I was pleasantly surprised to see that my letter was printed and submitted not only to the DB Mayor and the Assembly, but to the public as well. The Denali Borough (DB) Mayor and Assembly seemed to have the same desire to maintain the trail in it's current form. Many of the assembly people had a vested interest in keeping it the same as they are trail users as well. The 10 hour trip was worth every minute.

At the end, under user comments, the Assembly allowed me to voice a concern that their language read "ATV/Off Road Vehicle". DNR calls ATV's Off Road Vehicles and limits them to 1500 lbs. The members present (Eric's quick thinking) believed that DNR's terminology, if applied to the resolution, would prohibit our user group from continuing use of the trail. Not only did the Assembly listen to us after they had voted the resolution through, but they asked what wording would be acceptable. A decision to use "motor vehicles" instead of "ATV/Off Road Vehicle" was made and the assembly voted the changes throughout the resolution! Two members, who voted for the original resolution, chose to vote against it, but the other 7 or so members voted it in. The Mayor stated he would like to have us involved and help to make this area a model user area that could allow other areas to be opened up for motorized vehicle use.

We finally made it back to my place at about 1am, where we figured out Nate's blown fuse/no start issue. A temporary set-up was made to allow continued use and I kicked the two Jeeps out of the garage for their trip home.

Our next step is to contact DNR, the Governor's Office and our legislators and let them know we would like to see them support the DB's request to maintain the trail as it is right now. Hopefully all members can see that it doesn't take much to have your voice heard and to make forward progress to guarantee future access. Thanks to those members who participated – and I promise there will be many future opportunities for everyone else to get involved.
Glad to hear it went so well wish I could've gotten off work to go, things have been crazy here with Finance printings. And good catch by Eric to address the language/terminology of the resolutution.
Well done guys!
You Guys Rock!!!
New recreation area may come to Healy

By [email=%73%6d%69%6c%6b%6f%77%73%6b%69%40%6e%65%77%73%6d%69%6e%65%72%2e%63%6f%6d]Stefan Milkowski[/email]
smilkowski@newsminer.com
Published October 10, 2007

Local lawmakers are meeting with Denali Borough residents Friday to discuss a wished-for state recreation area near Healy, and what to do with a long-abandoned, now-famous bus is sure to come up.
Area residents fought hard last year against a plan by then-Gov. Frank Murkowski to upgrade the rugged Stampede Road, which heads west from the Parks Highway just north of Healy. At the same time, the Denali Borough Assembly passed a resolution calling on the state to create a Stampede Road recreation area to ensure the land was well managed under increased traffic.
Gov. Sarah Palin put the brakes on the Stampede Road project in January, but area residents are still pushing for the recreation area. Rep. David Guttenberg and Sen. Joe Thomas, Fairbanks Democrats whose districts include Healy, introduced companion bills in the Legislature that would establish the park.
On Friday, Guttenberg and Thomas are hosting a community talk in Healy to hear residents’ thoughts on the recreation area.
“This is a public hearing on what the folks down there perceive that as being,” Guttenberg said Tuesday. “At the end of the day, they’ll be the ones who are involved with it more than we are.”
The legislative bills, which have not had hearings, are “boiler plate” bills that would ensure current uses are still allowed, and specify that land managers seek input from the public and from the Borough assembly before coming up with a management plan or imposing any restrictions.
Denali Borough Mayor David Talerico said the goal was to develop a management plan to handle the impacts of increased traffic, such as trash, rather than change how the area is used.
“We really don’t want to lose the traditional uses,” he said Tuesday.
An abandoned city bus, located about 20 miles down the Stampede Road and on the other side of the Teklanika River, is adding a new twist.
A wandering Christopher McCandless died of starvation at the bus in 1992 after living there for about 113 days. Jon Krakauer wrote a best-selling book about McCandless, and Sean Penn directed a major studio movie based on the book.
With publicity from the recently released movie, “Into the Wild,” some area residents are expressing concern that adventurous visitors will get themselves into trouble making the trek out to the bus.
“Their biggest concern is tourist traffic trying to get out to the bus,” said Julia Potter, treasurer of the Greater Healy/Denali Chamber of Commerce. “So many people who come up here just have no clue about crossing some of the rivers out there.”
Potter and Guttenberg both suggested it might be better to haul the bus out and display it somewhere along the road, but Potter, who also works with the Denali Citizens Council, said most people in the area sort of wish the whole issue would just disappear.
And while the recreation area is a separate issue from the bus, having the park in place would ensure there was a place for local input on the issue, Guttenberg said.
Talerico, the borough mayor, said he was still on the fence about the bus.
He first camped out there with a friend when he was about 16, he said, and has been back several times since. Moving the bus might not stop people from heading out the road anyway, he added, and simply warning people about the danger might be a better plan.
“I haven’t really made up my mind,” he said. “The bus is a landmark.”
Friday’s event is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. at the Tri-Valley Community Center and run for about two hours.
Here is a link for those attempting to go tonight.

http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forum/showt...#post68760

The bill is being introduced by

Rep. David Guttenberg district 8 Interim Phone 456-8172 Juneau Phone 465-4457 Rep_David_Guttenberg@legis.state.ak.us

Sen. Joe Thomas district D Interim Phone 456-8161 Juneau Phone 465-2327 Senator_Joe_Thomas@legis.state.ak.us

Even a simple email or phone call stating that you support this, as long as current uses, including Offroad vehicles (and NOT just ATV's) are included in it's management plan. We do not want to have our access restricted by this.
I can't make the meeting, buit I can surely send an email or two. (Once I get home).
Here's the story in the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner. Not much detail, but a writeup none the less.

http://newsminer.com/2007/10/13/9348
Last night, Mel, Marik and myself traveled down to Healy for the Stampede Recreational Area (House Bill # 241) presentation. We left early and had a leasurely drive until we got to Healy and I remembered we were still 15 miles from the meeting. When we arrived at the McKinnley community center, we found out it was back in Healy at the TRI-VALLEY community center. Mel drove appropriately and we arrived 15 minutes late. :mad: To remind everyone, last time AO spent 20 minutes at the tri-valley center waiting for a meeting at McKinnley community center. Rolleyes At least we are predictable.

The legislative staff was extremely friendly and helpful. That is their job, sure, but it seemed that they had a real understanding of our issue and were not only putting a bill together that allows us to continue our historical uses, but is done in a way that allows this bill to be passed.

The community residents were thoughtful and didn't mind sharing their opinions, which did range from "let's protect it for the animals" (As if they don't have enough protected acreage) to "build a highway to the bus" (only in jest). Most residents want to keep the area being used as it was and are VERY concerned that once park personel is running the show, they won't have very much say in the management of the area. It was the concensus of the panel, that a STRONG advisory committee, along with vocal support from not only area residents, but state-wide can help prevent this from becoming another park. Their are still hurdles, as to pass the bill they will need to have a cost of maintaining the area put into the park budget, which in recent years hasn't been to large.

Another option is to make this a public use area, instead of a state recreational area. I plan on figuring out the differences and pros/cons, as this could still be done.

Once again, there was wording in the bill that doesn't sit well with me (or Eric, as we testified on this last year) was that under historical uses, they name "motorized vehicles" and under rec area allowed uses is "all terrain vehicle use". I brought up this point and Anna Plager, State Parks Superintenent stated that the wording doesn't matter as the management plan that would be implemented after the bill passes could have those activities included. I SAY: include in the bill that "Off-highway vehicle use" is included in the allowed uses. I will be contacting the sponsoring legislators and meeting with their staff to show my concern and to dispell Ms. Plagers assumption that ATV means the same thing. We have been here before and Ms. Plagers Chena River State Recreational Area, that she uses as a shining example of what can be done, has no access for vehicles over 1500lbs.

What the Healy residents need is active support from all recreational users, and know that public disagreement between users will not be helpful in getting this bill passed. To that end, I have contacted the Alaska Outdoor Access Alliance and spoke with Todd, not only to get them working on this (AO will be the first group in the Northern Area to apply for affiliate membership), but to let them know this is a big deal for us up here. Unfortunately, without more local support, I am sure they will put their energies towards areas that attend meetings, and help finance their fight for our uses.

I asked for a Fairbanks area meeting and if/when this is done, I hope we can ALL spend a couple hours to support this bill, the staff who has to bring it forward to many committees, and the representatives and senators that are using their office to HELP their constituents. I was also asked to testify to committees and am only happy to do so.

In the meantime, please send emails, letters or phone the sponsors who are putting this forward for all our benefit. The links (in red) are down below, and what the heck, only take a minute to send out.
bump
There will be a public hearing in Fairbanks on the Stampede Recreational Area (HB241) on January 2nd at 5:00 at the borough assembly chambers. That is a Wednesday. I would make it mandatory for members to attend, but I guess I won't be president then...Cool Seriously though, we need some active participation. Those that make the decisions listen to the voices (not always the ones in their heads) of those concerned. If you don't show your support, we may not get this and have our access taken away.

I'll post up as soon as I hear more.
I can be there until 6:30 when I'll have to jet out to get to work (I Teach a Class at 7PM on Wednesdays.)
When we attended the meeting in Healy they were impressed that we took the time to come down and make a showing. We need to do it again here in Fairbanks but we need to make it a big showing. We need them to know that we are concerned about all of alaska not just the fairbanks area. We need lots of trucks in the parking lot and people in the seats.
Call you snowmaching buddy or the neighbor with a 4wheeler.
ttt
I will show up
I'll be there.
I can actually GO!!! I will be on leave and here and the kids will be in daycare..... I will be a FREE MAN!!!
I'll make every effort to make it on time, as I usually leave work around that time. If I'm working at the mine that day, there's going to be no way I'll get there on time though.
If I do make it I'll be about 45 min late.
I'll be there
Here is a bump for this. Hopefully more than a few of us can make it. Please see this post for information on this bill.
I have been suffering with a migraine and vomitting all day. I doubt I would be very effective to be at this meeting. Sorry, but unless drastic improvement happens... I won't be there.

Kelly, seeing as you went to the meeting in Healy, and you started the other thread, can you bring some of us up to speed on wether the legislation proposed is a good or bed thing?

Does this protect our land rights, or are we in the risk of loosing them to the discretion of the National Parks Service?

Thanks.
I'll be there. I'm leaving the house now though so hopefully someone can fill me in on the +'s and -'s when I get there.
Ole, I'll see you there. I'll giveyou the rundown there. I'll try to post up here in a bit with the pros and cons. Bottom line- the park service will be the only downside. I'm working with the aids to raise the weight restrictions and demand an understanding between the rec area management (whoever it turns out to be), the users and the bill sponsors what ORV, OHV, 4 wheeler and such is so that we are not weight limited out of using this area as we have in the past. Someone suggested 10K pounds, but that's assinine. I think a reasonable weight of somewhere around 6-7K is more realistic, but all you big rig guys will hate me for that!