Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacement winchline
Flawed Wrote:I have no faith in the synthetic line at -40. That stuff might be great in the summer but plastic gets brittle when it is frozen. I watched wagonburners rope break on a very easy pull in the cold. I would have no problem running rope in Florida but not here. I'll stick with the wire and use good winch practices.

I have never seen synthetic fail in the cold, even at -40

x2 for good winch practices. I bought synthetic for me. Like Mark, I have seen first hand the result of poor winch practices, although the one I saw didnt result in death. Synthetic breaks, oh ****, I just got hit with a wet noodle; Steel breaks, oh ****! I just got a limb severed. No thanks brothers.
The only failure I have seen with a syn. winch line was on the Great Manchu winchfest Part 1. Lawson and I went out to run Manchu 2 at -20. No problems, until we got further into it, about half way through. The weather warmed up to an unseasonable say 10 above with a lot of sun. The hard pack we were driving on turned soft and all of the sudden we were winching 90 feet at a timeSad
Lawson was in the lead and I was winching to his tow point on the back. We were winching in with his syn, and the line was too slippery on the drum and it ripped off of the tab.
We were dead in the water until Kev came out on a snow machine with spare parts and food.

Moral of the story is I always leave 10 to 12 wraps on the drum when I use syn now instead of the recommended 6.

Messages In This Thread
Replacement winchline - by Bulldog - 14 Jun 08, 03:16 pm
Replacement winchline - by Flawed - 14 Jun 08, 05:43 pm
Replacement winchline - by sevenslats - 14 Jun 08, 06:08 pm
Replacement winchline - by naturalbornmudder - 14 Jun 08, 06:46 pm
Replacement winchline - by sevenslats - 14 Jun 08, 07:11 pm
Replacement winchline - by naturalbornmudder - 14 Jun 08, 07:16 pm
Replacement winchline - by arcticmutt - 14 Jun 08, 09:30 pm
Replacement winchline - by TJVigilante - 14 Jun 08, 10:31 pm
Replacement winchline - by AKMark - 14 Jun 08, 11:00 pm
Replacement winchline - by Flawed - 15 Jun 08, 12:57 am
Replacement winchline - by naturalbornmudder - 15 Jun 08, 06:22 am