Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPOA vs SPUA
I look at this a little differently, to me, it’s more a question of how can I lift my rig and get the best overall bang for my $$$/time. Some rigs its best to utilize a spring over, others a spring under.
IMO the key is how the springs set under the rig. To get the best overall performance from leaves, you want them sitting nearly straight/flat with the vehicle weight on them; too much arch limits their ability to travel, causes a harsher ride, and makes the vehicle "squirrely" on pavement.

If you want to run huge tires, or for pure off-road, the spring over is the way to go, it adds leverage, which increases "flex" and keeps all 4 tires on the ground. There is a price... The increased leverage seriously effects handling, exadurating (sp) body roll, track-ability, and axle wrap. To counter this, most companies use stiffer springs, which ride harsher & limit flex. I blew out 5 rear driveshaft’s on my little 68 HP Sami & turned a stock set of YJ springs into an "S" due to axle wrap while I was working the bugs out.
For the spring over, the best way to control this is using a traction bar on the rear axle and a panhard bar on the front. This adds complexity to the suspension & if done improperly, will limit offroad ability. My Sami was spring over, with the lockers and tires, it performed well offroad, but was a real handful getting to and from the trail, I stopped using it as my daily driver, it was quite a workout.

A spring under system uses its own leverage to help control axle wrap, body roll, wondering, and bad road manners. For a daily driver that needs a moderate lift, the springs will set flat/straight, and you’re on a budget, spring under will be your best bet. It is a simpler way to "bulletproof" your rig. The trade off is losing ground clearance (at the spring) and a little less flex.

Aren't you building 2 Sami's??? Do one of each & let us know!!!! LOL!!!

Just my 2 cents

Messages In This Thread
SPOA vs SPUA - by Zukman - 16 Jun 09, 07:21 am
SPOA vs SPUA - by ARCTIC_EXPRESS - 16 Jun 09, 10:49 am
SPOA vs SPUA - by SHoppe715 - 16 Jun 09, 09:00 pm
SPOA vs SPUA - by SamuraiMike - 16 Jun 09, 10:06 pm
SPOA vs SPUA - by TJVigilante - 16 Jun 09, 10:10 pm
SPOA vs SPUA - by SamuraiMike - 16 Jun 09, 10:55 pm
SPOA vs SPUA - by Zukman - 17 Jun 09, 07:12 am
SPOA vs SPUA - by TJVigilante - 17 Jun 09, 09:55 am
SPOA vs SPUA - by JeepMadness1979 - 17 Jun 09, 11:39 am
SPOA vs SPUA - by Zukman - 10 Sep 09, 07:41 am