Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help extracting bolt
Twin_Kings Wrote:Is the bolt broken off flush with the flange? Maybe you can weld a nut (through the center of the nut to the bolt)? If you are able to weld a nut to it and it still doesn't come out, spray down with penetrant oil then give a few sharp raps with a hammer. Hopefully it will come out.

Good advice - and it almost worked!

The bolt (or stud) was not flush, but twice we welded nuts to it to no avail, even heating the hub to a slight glow with the torch resulted in nothing.

I used a grinder and carefully made 2 flat surfaces and put some vice grips on it and still no go - then - maybe a 32nd of a turn. so we tried to weld another nut on - but that twisted off as well.

Then we ground the surfaces flat angain and heated it again and I thought, I wonder if ... so I tightened it, then loosened it - maybe a 16th of a turn that time... again anad again, back and forth until finally out it came.

Then Steve noticed my shop press and said - I was going to go to the hobby shop and yuse theirs... So we hung out in the garage all morning - he mainly working on his hubs and me tinkering with some other small projects.

He ordered us Pizza as a thank you and me and the kids had lunch. (thansk Steve)

Messages In This Thread
Need help extracting bolt - by SHoppe715 - 16 Mar 07, 06:43 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by naturalbornmudder - 16 Mar 07, 06:58 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by SHoppe715 - 16 Mar 07, 07:04 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by naturalbornmudder - 16 Mar 07, 07:05 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by naturalbornmudder - 16 Mar 07, 07:06 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by ChevyKev - 16 Mar 07, 07:39 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by Bulldog - 17 Mar 07, 12:12 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by sevenslats - 17 Mar 07, 01:30 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by ChevyKev - 17 Mar 07, 02:18 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by SHoppe715 - 17 Mar 07, 06:52 pm
Need help extracting bolt - by SHoppe715 - 17 Mar 07, 08:02 pm