Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CB Install and testing party
I would've posted this in the Open forum, however I have no permissions to post there. :pcsmash::fishslap:

Was thinking of holding a CB install and testing party at my shop in North Pole this winter. I figured I'd wait until after the holiday season, to give everyone a chance to spend that time with loved ones.

We can fit at least 2 and up to 4 (if they are small) rigs in there. I have an SWR meter as well as soldering equipment, multimeter, power probe, etc to assist with install.

I wouldn't be against someone working on lighting as well.

If you have a bigger project, let's save that for another time, just don't be afraid to ask.

Any interest in this?
I need to install one in the dodge
If you have the equipment, let me know when you are ready to install.

If you need equipment, we can sit down and get you some stuff.

There's a nice Cobra on one of the local FB pages for $40.

I really like the Uniden I have for the DMax, it's got the NOAA weather channels as well.
Anyone else in the group run a HAM radio in addition to a CB?
KE0DYM

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
No but want to. A couple of us went to the local radio club meeting once. Wanted to get one for the club. The clubs down south have a freq for them.
I installed one, have a couple more handhds that I bought, but I have not earned my license yet so I can actually play around with them. Nice keep, I might have to check out your POD Cast.
The Arctic Amateur Radio Club is offering a class soon and that could get a bunch of people their license. I'll share the class info once I find it.

If just seems that all Alaskan offroaders should be using a HAM radio instead of a CB because of the ruggedness and distance that we travel.

Here's the info for the HAM operator class:

Please help spread the information….

:: Notice - Upcoming Technician License Class Begin In April ::

Tech License Classes will be held each Saturday in April ( April 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30 ) from 1 to 5 PM in Hutchison Center, Room 202.

John Slater (KL1AZ) will be lead instructor with Eric Nichols (KL7AJ) and Neal Brown (W7USB) helping. Please come to the AARC April 1st club if you are interested in attending the classes.

Mike Perry has offered to hold licensing exams on April 30 during the last class. License testing is also available on April 2 and again on May 7 which is the “normal” Saturday License testing time-frame. Please contact John Slater at techclass@kl7kc.com for additional information.

Cheers

88XJ Wrote:I installed one, have a couple more handhds that I bought, but I have not earned my license yet so I can actually play around with them. Nice keep, I might have to check out your POD Cast.
If you have an iPhone or Android phone is really easy to subscribe to the podcast. You can also just hit the play button on the website and listen that way. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Dan Cole Wrote:The Arctic Amateur Radio Club is offering a class soon and that could get a bunch of people their license. I'll share the class info once I find it.

If just seems that all Alaskan offroaders should be using a HAM radio instead of a CB because of the ruggedness and distance that we travel.

though I do agree with the statement about HAM radio, we safety get away with out by traveling in groups, I also personally have a InReach though luckily I have not had to use it for an emergency situation, the one Emeregncy situation we had we were actually still in cell range. I might just make the class, I just need to look at my schedule, that's a big time requirement but I prefer class room teaching instead of self taught.
I have an InReach too and thankfully I've never had to use it for an emergency as well. I've noticed that there is a lag in messages from the InReach. The HAM gives instant feedback. Its just another tool for your kit bag. The audio quality is also much much better than on a CB, typically.

Is the class each of those days or is it a 1 day course available each of those days? I've been interested in becoming a HAM operator for some time.
I believe that it is each of those days. I know it's an investment of time but the alternative is just memorizing the practice tests... And that would take longer.

Yeah I know and it'd be worth it for sure. Unfortunately I already a commitment during that time every Saturday.
Bummer. Well they will offer it again. And there's always the blunt force study method. Or you can just bring along someone will already has a license! 😉

I wish I had the time. I don't have time to even wrench on the rig right now.