Arctic Offroad Forums
Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - Printable Version

+- Arctic Offroad Forums (http://www.arcticoffroad.com)
+-- Forum: Talk (http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General 4X4 (http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Home Page poll (http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Thread: Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized (/showthread.php?tid=1302)

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - sevenslats - 16 Mar 07

What's the longest time your rig has spent immobile? Be it stuck on the trail, broke on a trailer, or on jackstands in your driveway?

Count Manchu winchfests and the like as 1 stuck.

Stuck on the trail for 13 hours
Broke on the trailer for 4 hours
On jackstands in teh driveway for 8 months - Longest

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - AKMark - 16 Mar 07

The Burb is about to break my record, but the ZJ was out for almost 4 weeks when I did the trans swap.

I bet it's another six weeks at the earliest before the Burb is even close to running again.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - SHoppe715 - 16 Mar 07

My M715 has not really been driven since Oct '03. It hit some back roads without brakes in Feb '05 when I moved to NP from FtWW, but I don't really count that trip. I almost crashed it that night, too.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - naturalbornmudder - 16 Mar 07

lil' t was involved in two Manchu winchfests. Down for 4 days with a shattered clutch bearing, down for a week or so during the axle swap, and DOA once at -50 for 2 or 3 days.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - TJVigilante - 16 Mar 07

Counting stucks, I said 4-14 days because I parked it for a week before I got the bearings changed out. It's parked again though because I need to put the spare on and it's cold out.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - Flawed - 16 Mar 07

I said 1-3 hours, But I have been lucky so far. I just hope it keeps holding out, Knock on wood

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - Advent - 16 Mar 07

Finally, something I can win!

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - akram - 16 Mar 07

1-4 months. My 2000 chevy was down for almost 3month while I rebuilt the engine. Broke on the trail for 1 day until we finally got my ranger pulled out to a spot to get it on a trailer in CO.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - Darkchild1723 - 16 Mar 07

Jeep, What Jeep... I'm only waiting for my SkidPlate then I have to put it all back together before I can drive again

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - ChevyKev - 16 Mar 07

When I moved from AK in July '84 the trans burnt up on the long drive to MO. I could drive it a mile or two before the trans would overheat - so I could make it to Campus and back. But then the Vega blew it's engine - So I took the engine out of the truck and put it in the Vega.

In '99 I got a 455 Buick form my brother and put that in the Blazer - but the trans and t-case were still shot. Meanwhile Kael had come along, I was working for peanuts, and couldn't afford stuff. Trailered it to TN when I moved there. IN 2000 I had a trans and t-case rebuilt. Backed it out of the driveway and had no forward gears. :angry: Had it towed to the trans shop and dfrove it the 11 miles home a week later, only to loose oil pressure and hear a slight knock. :eek: Found out the oil pump housing was worn out. MOved - trailered it, to KC, then down to SW Mo. Found another front housing and got it running - only to have the same basic problem, except I shut it off before any knocking. Bought a 1970 350 for $500 in Aug of '03 and got it running just in time to move up here in Sept - although it once again rode the trailer.

SO really - from the spring of 98 to August of 03. 5 years, and many a heart break.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - sevenslats - 17 Mar 07

:oops: Added to homepage!

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - ChevyKev - 17 Mar 07

sevenslats Wrote:And yet, he still prefers older chevys :confused: :?:

Lets compare base price, upgrade costs, ease of installation and wrenchning and available parts and time down :whistle:

To continue the saga... Got the truck running in MO in Sept 03, put 3/4 ton axles on it, as well as a set of 38.5 TSL's. After the first winter of wheeling and the addition of lockers, snapped the front axleshafts. From Mar-04 to June '04 it was down while I found, purchased, and re-geared 1 ton axles. At the same time I swapped to crossover steering set up, and went from an auto to manual trans. Wheeled Boulder and attempted Meet-n-greet to only find a cracked frame at the steering box.

So it was down another month while I found a fix for that ill.

Nov and Dec of '04 lead to two different trail fires. The old 1970 engine seals all gave up the ghost after a bout with -40 and I couldn't even hope to contain it! So it sat from Jan - June of '05 while I saved the money to rebuid the engine. Again, I got this done just before meet-n-greet '05.

And to continue my trend of finishing at the last minute before meet-n-greet the Skitzo went to '06! Big Grin

The Blazer has had a few small issues since, but not down for those extended periods of time.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - Flawed - 29 Mar 07

Well I cursed myself, A broken power steering reservior has kept me immobilized for almost a week waiting for parts. Why make parts in plastic on a jeep :banghead:

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - ChevyKev - 29 Mar 07

Flawed Wrote:Well I cursed myself, A broken power steering reservior has kept me immobilized for almost a week waiting for parts. Why make parts in plastic on a jeep :banghead:

Why? Same reason they'd make a unibody! Big Grin Lighter and cheaper to manufacture (with the exception of Kelly's crumple zone reasoning!)

I hear ya - some engineering feats just make little sense.

Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized - AKMark - 28 Apr 07

I've been Suburbanless way too long. Hopefully, that will be fixed by this upcoming weekend.